RARE Marine Parachute Rigger Grouping to a Woman!

usmcraidergirl

If it goes to a museum it will most likely end up in the back room, maybe a piece or two would get in a display.

Sorry Terry but where's the proof of that? Just because you say that doesn't make it true. My goal is not to get into the age-old collector verses museum debate as I do not think every historically significant object should be in a museum. But you can't dismiss my point by simply stating a claim like that. Besides, the issue is about accessibility as much as display.

Sorry Terry but where's the proof of that? Just because you say that doesn't make it true. My goal is not to get into the age-old collector verses museum debate as I do not think every historically significant object should be in a museum. But you can't dismiss my point by simply stating a claim like that. Besides, the issue is about accessibility as much as display.

It would be wonderful if this was in a museum, but I have to agree with Terry; not that I disagree with your point. As much as museums are a very important part of preservering and displaying our history (not to mention spreading information to the general public :) ) there is just no way for them to display everything in their collection. I don't want to get too far off topic, but they have to choose not only what is historically important, but what the public wants to see. Sadly non-collectors may not understand how important this grouping truly is. The important thing is that it finds a good home where it can be appreciated for what it is, as well as remembered and honored too.

RC

vintageproductions

This is a killer group. I love the re-stencilled shirt and the sweatshirt.

Will have to watch how it does on Ebay.

I have worked or helped at many museums and know what I am talking about. It would be nice if it could be on display at one but I doubt it will ever happen, at least never all of it.

I can vouch that Parris Island does it...it's a small facility, they don't have any large groupings display...at least as of 3 years ago when I was last there, and that was after 2 expansion/renovations. Their WM section is limited to a case or two...most smaller niches are, more cases are allocated to subjects such as WWI, WWII...

I know PI got a large supply of WWII firearms...and never saw them make it to display

And let's not even get into what a Wisconsin museum is currently doing with a generous donation collection at the moment

If anything, it should be a loan, and after the museum and owner have come to an understanding of the intentions

That "swabbie lover" bit gets me every time. I wonder if she was spending a little too much time with a bluejacket back then... Wonderful grouping, many thanks for sharing it.

-- Jon

Thanks for posting this magnificent grouping. It was a pleasure to view and hopefully will end up somewhere that it is treasured. Bob

usmcraidergirl

Thank you for all the kind comments. Ursula would be thrilled so many people are enjoying seeing her items. She loved every moment of being a Marine.

Oh! And to answer a couple questions:

I have had some bad luck with museums to be honest. And I have gotten many an item from when museums decide to get rid of stuff. Most tend to have displays they have paid for markers and signs for and they are just not willing (nor able sometimes) to redo their displays. This grouping is large and has many unique parts. So would require a good amount of display space.

And yes I would sell on forum but honestly don't know what to ask. That is why I'll probably list it on eBay on March 9. I am open to offers I guess.

Certainly there were not many women who could count themselves as Marine parachute riggers in 1944! Still it is a sad thing they they trained and successfully completed their course only to be told they were not needed. That she held on to her rigger kit for all those years speaks volumes for the pride which earned a place in history and ensured that a foundation was laid.

If you find any other information I know I would enjoy seeing it posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi has this been auctioned?

It hasn't been on ebay yet, but you can do a an ebay watch for woman Marine rigger and you should get notified when it's listed.

usmcraidergirl

Thank you for all the super info! :)

FINCH: Not yet. I was taking Brig's advice to wait until Show of Shows is over. I know I said I would list it Sunday. But, while thought I might do it last Sunday, I changed my mind because I'll now be out of town this weekend. I would like to be there when it ends in case any last minute questions. So, unless it is sold prior, I will probably be listing it around 8pm central time on Sunday.

BOB: Yep, I will be putting that in the title so the mobile search will find it easy too.

Main thing, it is going to be sold together. I could probably make more money breaking it up yes. But, I am looking for a good home rather than make a lot on it. So, it will be list and sold as one large grouping. :)

Thank you for the interest guys!

teufelhunde.ret

Might want to block a few bidders then, I'm sure they'll buy specifically to break it up

Amen, we need a thread dedicated to those dirt-bag's!

RustyCanteen

It would be a real shame to see this in any other state than as an intact grouping. Once it is broken up the history is as good as lost. Hopefully the winner (and potential bidders) will realize that the best memorial to Ursula's service is the entire grouping, and not a source for cherry picking one or two pieces.

RC