19 Feb., 1945. Iwo Jima Items From My Collection

I am sharing these items with you guys because I think some of you may be able to appreciate them. Especially some of the veterans-USMC in particular. Growing up being very close to my grandmother, she taught me about history and antiques, and I grew to love those things as an adult. I have always felt a closer connection to history by items associated with events or eras. The battle for Iwo Jima Island killed some 7,000 Marines, and wounded 20,000. Of the 18,000 Japanese occupying the island, only 216 were captured. As a 29 year old man (non veteran) with a 3 year old little girl, I can't begin to imagine what some of these parents went through having lost a child. Think about that for a second-that's just one battle of the war. Anyway, I'd like to share these items with you, and maybe you can feel a sense of connection as I do.

The first item (or sum thereof) is a mannequin of what a fully equipped Marine hitting the beach of Iwo Jima may have looked like-obviously there were variations here depending on unit, assignment, specialty, etc. (Also, pictures were taken over a transition period of 2 mannequins). But, other than 'boondockers', or boots, this mannequin is complete. All items are 1945 or earlier, no repro or post war items. The dogtags on the mannequin are extremely special, however...

IMG_0104_zps07dc5fe2.jpg
S5002426_zpse30dbe31.jpg
S5002425_zpsbca29473.jpg
IMG_0105_zpsdad184d8.jpg

The second item is a pair of dog tags worn by a young 4th Marine Division Marine who was on Iwo Jima. I obtained these from a dealer here in Arizona. I do not know the story of them prior to that, other than the fact that Mr. Wieshofer's online obituary states that he passed in 1997, so he was one of the ones fortunate enough to make it home-physically, anyway...

IMG_0111_zpsc7035d80.jpg
IMG_0112_zpsc9d1fd9f.jpg
IMG_0113_zpsfcc25821.jpg

The third item I'd like to share, is one of two I know to exist. It was purchased from a friend of a friend about a year ago. The story is that the son of an Iwo Marine had two posters made after his father passed, and took them to Marine reunions, having Iwo veterans sign with their unit info (both Marine and Navy). The man I bought it from had traded for it some years earlier...

IMG_0110_zps12c67467.jpg
IMG_0106_zps28fa1f0c.jpg

I hope that these items can bring a sense of humbleness to you as they do to me. Was Iwo Jima the only important battle of WWII...or any war? No, absolutely not, it was just one of many....

I would also like to add that the week I got the poster home and hung it up, my daughter (2 1/2 at the time) asks me, "Dad, what are those guys doing to the flag? Are they helping it?" Her innocence and the gravity of what she said overwhelmed me, and I choked out, "Yes, baby, they are helping it." For those that don't know, 3 of the Marines in the photo did not survive the campaign.

Always interested in purchasing items pertaining to the 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment in WWII (82nd Airborne Div.). Please send me a PM if you have something.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Awesome job putting that together. The poster is great but I'm also a sucker for dog tags. Based on the tetanus date they are very likely the pair he was issued in boot camp, as his personnel file photo is dated 4/43. What was his MOS?

Looking to buy US dog tags, any era. Contact me and let me know what you have!

Awesome job putting that together. The poster is great but I'm also a sucker for dog tags. Based on the tetanus date they are very likely the pair he was issued in boot camp, as his personnel file photo is dated 4/43. What was his MOS?

He was on a heavy machine gun crew attached to an artillery unit.

Always interested in purchasing items pertaining to the 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment in WWII (82nd Airborne Div.). Please send me a PM if you have something.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

WOW really awesome poster of the flag raising! And killer mannequin he looks ready to storm the beaches. also if you haven't read it already the book "Flags of Our Fathers" is a really great book on the Iwo Jima flag raisers and the battle for Iwo Jima. Once again great display.

-Dave

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

Awesome display!

I have an Iwo Jima Mannequin myself I will post the pictures shortly.

BTW there were about 1,200 Japanese POW's from the battle.

Well Done!

Leonardo

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

Well Done1 Semper Fi.....Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Very nice display. Thats a very cool poster you have there.

Always looking for WW2 USMC militaria and WW2 Corpsman militaria. If you have any you don't want or want to sell let me know, I might be interested.

donation2016.gif

• 1 month later...

Awesome display!

I have an Iwo Jima Mannequin myself I will post the pictures shortly.

BTW there were about 1,200 Japanese POW's from the battle.

Well Done!

Leonardo

Thanks for the correction on the POW's. I recently heard that Ben Franklin said don't always trust information found on the internet! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Great display and a great group of items. The mannequin is well thought out and looks great! The framed poster is beyond words, can't imagine there are many out there of the same magnitude. A centre piece for sure!

Thanks for posting,

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

One suggestion for the Mannequin is the Lightweight Service Gas Mask and Bag.

Those were issued to the assault marines at Iwo Jima but turned in within the week after landing.

Two 2nd pattern canteens would be great as well.

Otherwise everything is awesome, those dog tags are priceless, still trying to locate a pair for myself.

Keep up the good work! This is inspiring!

LF

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

That's a really great display.

Like LF said I would add a gas mask to it, either the LWS mask and bag or the M5 gas mask in its rubberized bag. Those can be seen in Iwo photos as well.

-Jay

I collect pre-1948 US Navy rates, and WWII US Navy enlisted uniforms and equipment.

Wanted: items related to VPB-103, USN jumpers with USMC SSI and USMC uniforms with navy insignia.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will look into the gas mask for sure. I'd like to find some dang boondockers that aren't Shaquille O'Neal's size! Oh, and regarding the canteens...he actually has a 2nd pattern canteen cover (short flap, lift the dot), but you can't even see it on the photo! :lol: Oops!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...