Blood stain removal?

hawkdriver

hawkdriver

I have a musset bag that has had some rust stains since I got the thing. With the recent posts on rust stain removal, I got some Whink rust stain remover. I did what the instructions said, I started on a small stain and now two hours later, I am no closer on getting the stain out. When I took a closer look, the stain pattern doesn't look normal for rust. The stains have a dark reddish to brown look, the only thing I can come up with as an option is the possibility of blood. Anyone know how to take blood out without ruining the material?

Bob Hudson
I have a musset bag that has had some rust stains since I got the thing. With the recent posts on rust stain removal, I got some Whink rust stain remover. I did what the instructions said, I started on a small stain and now two hours later, I am no closer on getting the stain out. When I took a closer look, the stain pattern doesn't look normal for rust. The stains have a dark reddish to brown look, the only thing I can come up with as an option is the possibility of blood. Anyone know how to take blood out without ruining the material?

Once it sets, a blood stain is there to stay. I have had some luck using a stiff brass brushes (the ones about the size of a toothbrush) on canvas feld gear. You can scrub pretty hard without harming the fabric and sometimes you can at least tone down permanent stains.

A blood stain sure makes a connection between a hobby, and what these things were intended and used for.

I'm not sure I would want to try to remove a blood stain, think of how it got there.

I'm not sure I would want to try to remove a blood stain, think of how it got there.

I concur. A blood spattered Pat 37 bayonet frog is one of the prize items in my Brit collection. Sure, it could have come from a 10-year-old in 1963 but we will never know.

Tom thumbsup.gif

I concur. A blood spattered Pat 37 bayonet frog is one of the prize items in my Brit collection. Sure, it could have come from a 10-year-old in 1963 but we will never know.

Tom thumbsup.gif

Unless you run a DNA test on the blood. ;) Also, I agree with the above two, leave the stain or sell it some one who would like to keep the stain. thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

brandon_rss18

Feel the same also, I have a WW2 litter with a good sized blood stain in the middle of it that goes all the way threw. I felt it made a more personal connection with the item. I say leave it.

hawkdriver

I have decided to keep it as it is and it is back on it M-1936 suspenders, hanging on the wall. Thanks for the input and the snap back to reality. Sometimes you get so caught up on getting things clean that you don't see the forrest through the trees.

brandon_rss18
I have decided to keep it as it is and it is back on it M-1936 suspenders, hanging on the wall. Thanks for the input and the snap back to reality. Sometimes you get so caught up on getting things clean that you don't see the forrest through the trees.

Good decision Hawk thumbsup.gif