A Marine's close call with a Taliban bullet

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

Here are a series of photos I just pulled off the net. They show a Marines close call with a Taliban bullet during a recent firefight in Afganistan. He was uninjured, although I'm sure he needed a change of undies afterwards!

post-115-1211329716.jpg

post-115-1211329725.jpg

post-115-1211329734.jpg

Brian Keith

No doubt there are a thousand good reasons this Marine is not wearing his kit, he would have possibly/probably been better off to take a few seconds to toss on his vest and helmet prior to this series of photos.

Just a thought.

BKW

I agree with the above. This is why they always make you wear you helmet and body armor. You don't get to choose the exact time a round goes your way. There are very seldom second chances in combat but this marine just got one.

Schnicklfritz

If you'll look in the background of the first pic, you'll see one Marine on the wall with his rifle and helmet on. Further in the background is another Marine without his 782 gear on. Could be one of those split second things that happen when you're sitting around BSing and the pooie hits the fan. Not everyone had time to get his gear on.

101combatvet

Hmmmmm.... sure doesn't look like a staged photograph.... but you never know. If it is real then the Taliban was real close.... they usually don't shoot that well. He's one lucky guy.

There certainly has to be a good reason for that devil dog not wearing his protective gear. The Corps does not mess around anymore about issuing or making individual Marines were all their personal protective gear. That photograph however, is the ultimate example of the importance of wearing all your protective gear helmet, eye protection, and body armor with all its components. Thanks for digging up those pictures I am going to save those they will make a great teaching aid.

This is a quote from the article Jeremiah provided the link to. It explains a little bit of why he was without a helmet and gear:

Much was made of the photographs, which showed Sgt. Bee defending a mud wall without a helmet. Bobbie said her husband told her he was changing into fresh clothes when the company came under gunfire.