G-1 auxiliary helmet

mireks

Hello all,

does anybody know, how was G-1 auxiliary helmet used? My new toy just arrived, and I have no clue how to attach it neither to any flight helmet nor my head.

I believe there should be anybody, who have available some period photos or regulation/manual regarding correct usage of that.

thanks for help

Mirek

The G -1 has

lift-the-dot female snaps . These would attach to a flight helmet that has the male portion of the snap. I have never seen one.

Mirek,

Here's a picture of some flying helmets used by F-80 pilots after ww2 before the P-1. You could see a G-1 over a tan helmet fixed with snaps (helmet #9). Sorry I don't have any other picture of this kit. But I would say that the G-1 could be sewn perhaps on the tan helmet instead of snaps. However, I'm not sure.

Franck

f80-1946-06_zps828bb205.jpg

• 1 year later...

Mirek,

The G1 helmet came out in 1940 at the time that B17C's were being retrofitted with a tail gun. The tailgunner's space was very tight and the gunner sat on a bicycle type seat and was always being thrown around and bumping his head. During the pre-war years the crews of bombers did not wear flight helmets they wore the twill working cap with earphone over top. The G1 helmet would have gone directly on the head and the straps of the early O2 mask should have connected to the straps of the G1. Hope this helps.

Larry

• 3 months later...

Larry,

thanks for your explanation. However it means, the oxygen mask harness should be modified with small male snaps, right?

Mirek

Mirek,

The G1 helmet would have gone directly on the head and the straps of the early O2 mask should have connected to the straps of the G1. Hope this helps.

Larry

The sources I've read don't agree with the above. Looking at the design of both the G-1 and the masks available in 1940, I doubt the helmet was made to strap directly to a mask. If anyone has a period photo of this. I'd love to see it.

Ian