Patch collecting software - Recommendations

Wanted to know if anyone has used some type of patch collection software. And if so, what they might recommend.

Windows based and maybe with an app option for the tablet.

Might be asking a lot.

Thanks,

I was doing the Microsoft Excel route, but I'm just not very proficient at it and I didn't like the look was kind of hoping there maybe a program dedicated patch collecting.

Like I said may be asking for a lot.

My collection is too large to carry all those images and information. I just keep photos of current research "projects" on the phone....it might be nice to have all that info at your finger tips, but most of time I just go by memory.

Perhaps you or someone you know could develop this?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Do a google search for

photo cataloging software

What you want is software that lets you store and search photos based on file names and keywords. There are some free offerings out there, and if you are a Mac user you can use iPhoto.

Your filenames could be based on the unit, such as "101stAB." If you have multiples from the same unit then add to the name, something such as "101stAB-01"

If the photo cataloging software allows you to use keyword descriptions for each photo then you can add words such "airborne," "Vietnam," "theater made," etc. so that, if needed you can sort the photos by keyword(s).

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

I personally keep file folders with the photos on a usb memory stick which fits on my keychain. For years I saved photos from eBay but the problem was that the front and back photos had different names due to eBay and I have all of these back photos that will take 100s of hours to sort through.

Now, I use my MACs screenshot (jpeg format) which is super nice since it time stamps it and I can always find the matching photos of fronts and backs.

I personally keep file folders with the photos on a usb memory stick which fits on my keychain. For years I saved photos from eBay but the problem was that the front and back photos had different names due to eBay and I have all of these back photos that will take 100s of hours to sort through.

Now, I use my MACs screenshot (jpeg format) which is super nice since it time stamps it and I can always find the matching photos of fronts and backs.

It would be nice to pull those photos up when out and about on the scavenger hunts with a Ipad. Maybe some day.

Bob,

I have a lightroom program laying around somewhere is that what you are talking about? I bought for the wife, but she never really used it.

Lightroom will work, but iPhoto is also great. iPhoto hasn't worked on my MacBook for a couple of years but just for this thread I fixed it and imported some patch images I'd shot for a for sale listing. I put the front and back of each patch in one image (you can use photoshop elements and other editing programs to do that).

Here's how one of the images shows up in iPhoto, with the name it had before I imported it:

photo1.jpg

I then edited the photo name to make it more detailed:

photo2.jpg

I then added keywords:

photo3.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

To search, I just go to the iPhoto search box at the bottom of the screen and type in my keyword(s), in this case "glider"

photo4.jpg

That brings up the one photo with "glider" in the name or keywords.

photo7.jpg

I added some keywords to some other patch photos and did another search, this time for "WWII"

photo6.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

I had a couple of WWI patch photos in this batch and I discovered something: if you type the abbreviation for World War II as WWII, it will come up when you do a keyword search for WWI. So what you want to do is to use WW1 and WW2 instead.

So now when I do a search for WW1 it brings up these two:

photo8.jpg

Again, these examples are from iPhoto, but there are many programs out there with similar options for cataloging photos.

You can, of course, use this not only for patches, but anything in your collection.

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

Windows based and maybe with an app option for the tablet.

There are some Windows options at http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/photo-software/is-there-an-iphoto-windows-equivalent.html#b

I would look first at Google's free Picasa because they also have a tablet app in addition to the desktop version.

Again, the photo catalog options will beat the heck out of trying to use Excel or customize a database program.

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

There are some Windows options at http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/photo-software/is-there-an-iphoto-windows-equivalent.html#b

I would look first at Google's free Picasa because they also have a tablet app in addition to the desktop version.

Again, the photo catalog options will beat the heck out of trying to use Excel or customize a database program.

IPhoto has an app for the Ipad. It looks like the same thing you are doing with the MacBook. If this works, it is what I'm looking for. An organization program for the Ipad. I'm going to give it a try. Thank you very much for the help.

I used photobucket, scanned the patches, and made a gallery dividing patches into eras. From there, I went rank, corps, armies, commands, etc. For USAF I posted them by number of unit. Navy is by ship tabs, rank. USMC is era and rank. Whether subdued or color. I pull it up on my phone when I'm out. Mostly tho, I go by memory or carry a list of things I'm looking for for projects or to complete sections. It's worked pretty well so far.

Fins...

That wasn't friendly fire.. If I was being 'friendly', I wouldn't have fired at them!!!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

• 11 months later...

Lightroom will work, but iPhoto is also great. iPhoto hasn't worked on my MacBook for a couple of years but just for this thread I fixed it and imported some patch images I'd shot for a for sale listing. I put the front and back of each patch in one image (you can use photoshop elements and other editing programs to do that).

Thanks Bob for the helpful info.I never thought to use iPhoto.

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

I downloaded a collecting software that was free for mac called "MYStuff Pro".

it's kind of a pain in the butt but does work.

it allows for a lot more info to be entered than iPhoto and allows sorting by price paid, groups, vendor, etc etc etc.

here is a screenshot.. please excuse that there are only German items in mine, as I downloaded it a while ago and only entered a few things. It's actually pretty time consuming and I just haven't sat down and cataloged my stuff. I wish that I had started doing this when I got my first item.

and before anybody calls out the SD M42 as a fake the image is reversed!!! the decal is not on the wrong side.

The same with the FJ badge etc. This is a big flaw with the program and a reason I stopped entering things. it irritated me to all hell.

It thinks that you are trying to take a photo with the camera of an ipad or macbook etc... so it reverses the image. Even when you upload from your computer it reverses it thinking it's a photo from "photo booth".

Very frustrating for the image but it still stores the info you need.

It would work perfectly if I was using an ipad and taking photos while entering things.. but I'm not.

post-114538-0-64891000-1422716898.jpg

you can "tag" the items with words and search by tags, and it stores all the pertinent info... multiple pics without editing them together, etc.

I want to at least get any higher dollar items I have in there just in case anything were to ever happen to me, my wife can get in this program. She can then see what I paid and what I believe a good value is of the item. At least this gives a ballpark on something that she might have no idea about. Without this info someone could tell her that $1,000 for my Normandy camo helmet was a great price and she should be happy to get it. With the info she can look at my pricing and say "hell no".

Also this will help me in the future when I won't for the life of me be able to remember what I paid for something when I go to sell it.

it does have its flaws.. for example I cannot get that "WEB GROUPS" on the top to go away with "Fashion, Jewelry, and Watches"... it really doesn't affect anything but it's just annoying. But the program is free so I can't rag on it too much.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

You can use google drive, create a folder called "patches". then make another folder for each patch, putting in as many photos as you want, as well as a document for each patch with the info you want. Then you can access it on your phone if you have an iphone (maybe other phones too) I use it for my collection. It definitely isn't for everyone, but I recommend trying it. Good luck!

donation2017.gif

• 2 weeks later...

There is also this guy out of Australia who makes database systems for different types of collections by using Microsoft Access. It is a really good value and a nice for the private collector. Here's a link to one of his databases that he sells on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Militaria-Collection-Image-Database-Software-CDROM-for-Windows-/261768762252?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item3cf2a2538c

• 2 months later...

I use Microsoft OneDrive (comparable to Google apps, photos and so on) for my record keeping and pictures. I name the pictures and add all the pertinent details in the picture name so I can look at a picture and have all the purchase details right there. Microsoft has their OneDrive app free for iPads, iPhones, Android tablets, Android phones & Windows phones. When I want to look at a picture I open the One Drive app and I am good to go. But if you are out of cell phone range you are SOL. Thanks Clete

Thanks!

donation2012.gif