101st Infantry Division / 101st Airborne Division

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Would someone please advise if the 101st Infantry Division is the same as the 101st Infantry Regiment or if totally different? I've seen the 101st Reg as having originated in Massachusetts and part of the "Yankee Division" in WWII, and I've seen a couple of things on the 101st IDiv originating in various other places. I have a friend whose father, in 1939, was in Company M of the 101st Infantry Regiment and then in 1941 was in the 411th Infantry Regiment and then 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion. I know he was in the Normandy/Bulge area battles but I'm very confused about all of this. I was looking for a patch for his 101st infantry service and don't know if it's the one shown above or a different one. Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you......

Would someone please advise if the 101st Infantry Division is the same as the 101st Infantry Regiment or if totally different? I've seen the 101st Reg as having originated in Massachusetts and part of the "Yankee Division" in WWII, and I've seen a couple of things on the 101st IDiv originating in various other places. I have a friend whose father, in 1939, was in Company M of the 101st Infantry Regiment and then in 1941 was in the 411th Infantry Regiment and then 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion. I know he was in the Normandy/Bulge area battles but I'm very confused about all of this. I was looking for a patch for his 101st infantry service and don't know if it's the one shown above or a different one. Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you......

According to Shelby L. Stenton "Order of Battle US Army WW II" the 411th InfRgt served with the 103rd Infantry Division.

101st Infantry Regiment was part of the 26th Infantry Division (Massachusetts National Guard) during WW II. .

So a patch of the 26th Infantry Division would be the right choice.

http://www.ydva.org/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

So the two 101sts were different..

Thank you very much for your help!.

According to Shelby L. Stenton "Order of Battle US Army WW II" the 411th InfRgt served with the 103rd Infantry Division.

101st Infantry Regiment was part of the 26th Infantry Division (Massachusetts National Guard) during WW II. .

So a patch of the 26th Infantry Division would be the right choice.

http://www.ydva.org/

• 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.