ship building badge

Thor996

They are World War I and they were numbered and issued to private shipyard workers, apparently as something they could wear to show they were contributing to the war effort even though they weren't in the military. If they left the shipyard they were supposed to return them but if they were working in the shipyard at the end of the war they got to keep them.

They were created by the The Emergency Fleet Corporation (EFC), which was established by the United States Shipping Board, sometimes referred to as the War Shipping Board.

In the addition to the shield with US WAR SERVICE SHIPBUILDING on it, there were also some bars with ship's names on them. although I don't know if they were as common as the shields.

shipbadgeny3.jpg

shipbadgeny1.jpg

shipbadgeny2.jpg

Here is another style, not sure of the relevance of the two types is. They were issued for attendance as an employee of a company building ships for the war effort. Would love to see the bars!

Lots of variations of Ship Building Badges. There are also variations within the badge. I have a few that have different features. The exhaust and cloud placement is evident in the three badges shown here. There are also different layouts on the bronze badges.

post-589-0-11330700-1393045341.jpg

post-589-0-10179400-1393045351.jpg

post-589-0-88936800-1393045448.jpg

I have or had one of the first style shown. I didn't realize there were so many variations of these. JLENG...Very nice collection and informative post.

• 2 weeks later...