Viet Cong made 1911 pistol

tarbridge

That's an interesting piece...but why go to the trouble of tooling up to make crude copy of a .45 when any number of factory-made Soviet or Chinese pistols would have been available to them....let alone captured US weapons!?

vintageproductions

Great piece. I have had a few of the jungle workshop pieces and always look forward to seeing more of them.

That's an interesting piece...but why go to the trouble of tooling up to make crude copy of a .45 when any number of factory-made Soviet or Chinese pistols would have been available to them....let alone captured US weapons!?

Ian,

I have seen a host of variations VC made of almost any weapon you can envision...45's...carbines...zip guns...etc.Robert

Ian,

I have seen a host of variations VC made of almost any weapon you can envision...45's...carbines...zip guns...etc.Robert

Oh yeah, Robert...I know they made various knock-offs of western smallarms...I was just thinking aloud, so to speak! Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when the country was awash with ready - made weapons of all types...if you know what I mean? I think I might have been inclined to count my fingers after firing one of those jungle-workshop jobs!!

Interesting Robert. Questions, It was made to specifically fire U.S. 45 Cal ammo? if so, what's the magazine look like, a crude copy of the U.S. one? and would the U.S. M1911 magazine be compatible with it?

Is there a full topic here that shows VC made copies of U.S. firearms? Did the Eastern Bloc ever make 45 Cal ammo?

That's a good question Ian. The pistol looks fairly crude Robert, how does feel in your hand.

Hi Robin,

It is a massive and heavy gun...I think it could take out two people with one shot at one time...the person its aimed at and the person firing it...

the Viet Cong had to make do with whatever they could get, they didnt have the luxury of getting resupplied with air drops, or have the help of medivacs or choppers to ferry in arms and ammunition any time

especially during the early days of the war when they were not well supplied yet, beginning in the late 1950's the VC relied on outdated equipment , primitive weapons, and leftover ammunition with the war against the French

by the the mid 1960's when the war escalated with US ground troops, the VC and infiltrating NVA were equipped and armed with the most modern weapons and supplies Communist nations could provide.

A war previously fought by improvised with whatever was available gave way by 1966 to a war fought by supply line efficiency

11thcavsniper

First off, LUCKY FIND, I never have been able to get a hold of one. Way back in the days of Shotgun News I was second in line for one but of course I didn't get it. The Cao Dai sect started their own Army in 1943 during the Japanese invasion. I would guess they started making weapons then. As BOLO stated the Vietnamese would use what ever they could get their hands on inflict damage on their enemy. I was in Tay Ninh in 1969 and the Cao Dai had a Pyramid with the large Divine Eye painted on it. Very intimidating! They fought the French and Communists. L.T.

Very cool, interesting and RARE firearm.I'm sure it's safe to fire? :unsure: I wonder if any of these weapons were in those VC/NVN weapon recognition books.I don't even know where one of is or I would look.

First off, LUCKY FIND, I never have been able to get a hold of one. Way back in the days of Shotgun News I was second in line for one but of course I didn't get it. The Cao Dai sect started their own Army in 1943 during the Japanese invasion. I would guess they started making weapons then. As BOLO stated the Vietnamese would use what ever they could get their hands on inflict damage on their enemy. I was in Tay Ninh in 1969 and the Cao Dai had a Pyramid with the large Divine Eye painted on it. Very intimidating! They fought the French and Communists. L.T.

I tried to buy a Cao Dai 1911 at a shop in Fayetteville in 1980...they would not sell it.I will look Tuesday...but I think the pyramid marking is on the frame of this gun.

The Cao Dai pistols are some of the most rare bringbacks pistols. I've collected 30 years and have only seen two of them, and have never found one for sale. It's one of only two items left on my Holy Grail list.I still have one jungle made .45 in my collection, a 101st bringback. I find them fascinating and unique pieces. It was awesome years ago when Gene G. sold off his jungle made weapons collection - so many unique pieces!

On the top 1911 model.Where is the magazine release button, or am I over looking it?

On the heel as Big Al said...

Straight blowback...

OUCH! I hope the slide is heavy enough and the spring is strong enough to delay the opening until the pressure drops (not that I'm suggesting firing the thing).

I'm kinda digging that holster, I've not seen one like it before. It looks pretty unused. Does it look like the pistol spent much time in it?