Blueback Sgt. Stripes

tom63

I've heard of greenback and whiteback patches and stripes. How about blueback? What era do you suppose these Sgt. chevrons are from? They are stitched stripes on dark blue felt.

post-9295-0-17503500-1392659919.jpg

They're WW2 era, US made. The reverse threading in this case means nothing. It's just the way this particular manufacturer happened to embroider chevrons.

Looking at the back I would say these have been modified. It looks like someone cutout a branch device from the center and then sewed a piece of wool in its place. If not modified the backing wool should be one piece.

I could not tell from the photo, but is there stitching in the center around the inside edge (below the chevron and above the first rocker)?

This chevron could have been a 1st Sergeant chevron and the diamond was cutout. maybe they needed a Master Sergeant and one was not available. Or top got promoted in the field and no chevrons were around.

This chevron could have been a 1st Sergeant chevron and the diamond was cutout. maybe they needed a Master Sergeant and one was not available. Or top got promoted in the field and no chevrons were around.

Seems too neat and well-done to have been done anywhere but at the original place of manufacture.

You guys have a good eye. I didn't even notice but that center section is a separate piece. I got my eye loupe out and look at the stitching from the front. It is into the stripe about 1/16" from the edge. I think it shows in the second picture below. Looks to be factory made to me.

post-9295-0-94881800-1392663810.jpg

I agree. Stitches look machine sewed. Maybe the manufacturer modified them to fill an order instead of running off a more. Seems to me that this would have cost more in the long run though.

I have never seen WWII chevrons with that type or color of backing. These might be theater-made!

Thanks for the up close photos.

Never the less, this is an interesting variation. Good find! I would love to have it in my collection.

Hardstripe