Sampson Medal Group Help

Jack's Son

Gentlemen,

I just purchased this group here on the forum. Will anyone help me with some preliminary research on Mr. Fox?

C.S.C. No 20082. JOHN FOX. U.S.S. VERMONT. AUG. 26. 1910.

post-8213-0-03284400-1392613234.jpg

JS, I can make out Havana on the reverse of your new Sampson medal but not the date. If it's August 12, that's good as John Fox was a coal passer on the USS San Francisco and that was the medal issued in Phase II. Should be hand engraved on the rim. That will be a beautiful restoration and great to research. You only need to locate the ship's bar, San Francisco had no engagement bars.

Aerialbridge,

Thank you! The date is the 12th, look at the original photo and the date is much clearer then my copy.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/201911-sampson-medal-navy-good-conduct-campaign-medal-grouping/

I really appreciate your quick reply. I look forward to restoring this group, it will keep me busy! :)

If these medal numbers are on the known lists, would someone please check on them....

Navy West Indies Champ. #1188

Navy Philippines champ.#1963

Navy Mexico Champ. #8198

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Quick question- Why would John Fox have gone through at least three enlistments prior to earning a Good Conduct medal? There has to be a story there!

Allan

Quick question- Why would John Fox have gone through at least three enlistments prior to earning a Good Conduct medal? There has to be a story there!

Allan

I have a photo of a CPO circa 1920 with a 6 medal group, Dewey on one end and WW1 Victory on the other. No Good Conduct Medal at all.

We assume his service was good enough to be promoted to Chief but not exceptional / better than average.

W

Nice group of medals. I wonder why they were all stripped of everything? With a little bit of work you'll be able to make them display very well. The best bet for restoring the Sampson would be to locate an un-named Sampson with San Fran bar and switch out the planchets. The suspension bar off an un-named 50's era GCM would work fine as a replacement on the GCM. I recall Adam R stating he had some ringless planchets ruined by a jeweler who didn't know what he was doing when he attempted to attach a ring. So, be careful with that Mexican Campaign!

The campaign medal rim #'s probably aren't on any known "lists", but there's a decent chance his records will include receipts for his various Campaign "badges" (as they were referred to back then.)

Nice group of medals. I wonder why they were all stripped of everything? With a little bit of work you'll be able to make them display very well. The best bet for restoring the Sampson would be to locate an un-named Sampson with San Fran bar and switch out the planchets. The suspension bar off an un-named 50's era GCM would work fine as a replacement on the GCM. I recall Adam R stating he had some ringless planchets ruined by a jeweler who didn't know what he was doing when he attempted to attach a ring. So, be careful with that Mexican Campaign!

The campaign medal rim #'s probably aren't on any known "lists", but there's a decent chance his records will include receipts for his various Campaign "badges" (as they were referred to back then.)

Went through a fire and then cleaned ?

W

Allan

There are a number of possible reasons besides not having the conduct marks to rate one. The most likely is that he had a break or two in service for some reason.

Thanks for all of the good information you have all added, perhaps a PM to Adam is in order. I have ordered the records, and I'll be updating as I receive more clues.

Guys, if any of you are at the SOS and care to look for pieces for these medals, I would be very appreciative. That may be the place to find something to get started with.

Thank you,

R

The proper "hardware" and good quality ribbon for early medals is very hard to find. Most advanced medal collectors tend to hoard these "parts" because when they're needed they can be difficult or impossible to obtain.

Regarding the late date on the GCM. I have dated 1898 to a sailor who first enlisted in 1880! His one and only bar for the medal is dated 1910.

I am now aware of how long it is going to take me to do a proper job restoring this group. When I get started, I'll keep you up to date as progress moves along.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...