Early Colt Commando...

Len S

The Commando is covered quite well in U.S. Handguns of WW2 by Charles Pate. Great book...if you can find it. I am lucky enough to have a copy.

It is out of print and hard to come by, expect to spend at least $75 - $100 minimum if you can find one.

This is a pic of the OSS warehouse in Rosslyn, VA. It was also a brewery. As that area went through a revitalization some time ago, ithas since been torn down and a motel is in its place.

Ron

Not trying to pick on you, 17thairborne, but gap is correct about the OSS getting mostly 4" guns. Also, Military Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence operated out of Maryland but the OSS HQ was a large complex in Washington DC. The majority of guns that shipped to the OSS went to their warehouse in Rosslyn, VA.

post-9148-0-13349100-1399214246.jpg

post-9148-0-28393400-1399214418.jpg

17thairborne

Thanks for clarifying that. I understood that much of the training of agents took place at the training camps in MD at Bethesda and what is now Camp David. It makes sense that the shipping would have been to the warehouse and then farmed out from there.

To bad the original building is gone. Would have made a great museum!

You may find this interesting. Ron

Ron,

Can you post a bigger version and/or a source?

Thanks,

Kevin Williams

Kevin

I tried 3 or 4 times to resize to a better/clearer pic but could not get it to work. I also see the link/source reference didn't show up either. Here is the link/source. Maybe you can get better/clearer pics/info from it. Ron

http://www.nps.gov/cato/historyculture/oss-training.htm

Another link with some good info:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/oss/index.htm

This is an excerpt from William Colby's book, Honorable Men, My life in the CIA. The excerpt documents the disbanding ceremony location (Fowler Bldg) of the OSS at the end of WW2. Ron

post-9148-0-10532000-1399240521.jpg

• 3 weeks later...