Civil War Kepi

The Chassuer uniform in the Union army did indeed use red kepis, as did some zouave regiments, and even some Confederate artillery units.

However, this piece does not date from the Civil War period. It looks like an older reenactor's piece, and is not an accurate representation of what a kepi should look like (Chaussuer, or otherwise).

Also, the "US" device is a World War II era officer's lapel device.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

My ancester Cpl Albert Pendrill 14th N.Y.S.M wore a red kepi but a little different than that one, he was killed at Little Round Top Gettysburg.

Dave.

marks'militaria

Patriot 100% correct.in assessment. Chin strap wrong/leather wrong/buckle on strap wrong.U.S. WAY wrong.

I don't mean to hijack this but I wanted to mention to Panzer 3 that I also had an ancestor killed at Little Round Top. Charlie Speisberger of the 140th NY Vol Infantry. Do you know where the 14th N Y S M was on Little Round Top?

X_redcatcher

the 14th Brooklyn (14th NYSM), was not on Little Round Top, Sorry . The 14th was a 1st Corps unit and was on the 1st Days field (Railround cut and July 2nd on Culps Hill), they were all 5th Corps units on Little Round Top (this persons family member was killed onJuly 2nd on Culps Hill and not Little Round Top)

I do agree the hat is a older living history one, maybe from the 100 years events.

@sundance, I was born and raised in Rochester NY, I was also with the 140th NY living History Group Company B for a long time, http://www.140thny.org/ they might have info on your family member.