Are These US Army Hat Badges? Prong Back

tom63

Would these attach to some sort of Army cap/hat or some other part of the uniform? What is the vintage? They are about 1 1/4" in diameter.

post-9295-0-64380200-1392584690.jpg post-9295-0-26022000-1392584701.jpg

These are way too big for officer buttons. Early USAF EM cap badges were this shape and size too, I think, but I don't get the prongs. Army female EM's wore a kind of beret at one point, and I think they wore an open ringed insignia. Could this be an example?

G

Now Gil, you aren't thinking FEMALE buttons are you? :P This is a WWII vintage two piece button made by Waterbury. Sure looks like it is the same size to me, especially after the button is finished and the edge is rounded to the backing plate.

Allan

post-151-0-96804800-1392601265.jpg

Enlisted female cap insignia is similar but with 2 pins and clutches, not prongs. I can't think of where a button this large was used except for the winter overcoat, but those were an enlisted item. I suppose once it was bent over the backing disc and rounded off, it could be the right size for an officer's coat.

This is on a 1950 dated officer's coat, marked "Superior Quality":

post-32676-0-44337800-1392602293.jpg

I misread the diameter -- saw it as 2". My old eyes were not working I guess. Would someone be willing to sacrifice a button to see how it is constructed inside? I think the 2-piece front buttons are in fact 4 pieces -- the eagle/ring, the background, the back and the loop for sewing. And I think they were assembled together by crimping the ring over the other parts, after the loop was added to the back.-- probably by machine.

What the prongs were for on these I do not know -- I wonder if they were for mounting in some other item, perhaps a plaque? The harness idea is a possibility, but I think these are too small.

G

Thanks to all for the replies. I would think that whatever the insignia were made for, it would be a permanent attachment because or the size and number of holes it would make in the item. Probably not a hat!

I'm with Matt on this. I think that they are the top portion of an army officer's quality button.

Allan

I agree with Matt and Allan. Interesting find!

I found this photo on the web showing an officers button, front and back. Looks like the front section is crimped onto the back. I don't see any sign of the prongs on these particular buttons but different companies may use different methods.

post-9295-0-40616400-1392989627.jpg

• 3 weeks later...