Anyone have any examples of WWI era Army working fatigues? Brown denims, etc.

agate hunter

Hey everyone. I'm interested in WWI and earlier Coast Artillery stuff, and always see lots of photos of men wearing working fatigues, etc. I've never seen any before and was wondering what they looked like in color, etc. So please share if you have any! Thanks!

Working uniforms (for CAC and Engineers, along with a few others) changed over the years, but the denim coveralls and 'daisy mae' hats would have been what you seek information on.

RC

US Victory Museum

The CAC wore brown denim working uniforms and coveralls.(NOT blue)

The Ebay auctions from 2011 (shirt only) and 2012 (shirt & Pants) are eye openers.

post-1529-0-60208100-1392530548.jpg

Unfortunately such items are hot in Asia. I would hazard a guess that these went to Japan or Thailand. There are Japanese fashion buyers at our local military show buying Spanish American haversacks to sell as women's pursers in Japan. Still, the prices that there pieces sold for are somewhat reasonable based on their rarity, such comfortable work clothing just did not survive.

Here is a photo of the blue Denim Fatigue Uniform I took in 1998. It was on display at the Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee. These uniforms were used from the early 1900s up to WWII.

post-60620-0-02662400-1392558986.jpg

world war I nerd

U.S. Army Fatigue Uniforms are something that I know very little about, but something I have always been interested in. I do know that they were issued as early as 1901 and possibly earlier. They have also been described as being made from both olive drab and brown canvas or ‘cotton duck’ material. Both of which appear in period photographs up to WW I. I also know that during the Great War, the majority of fatigue hats, coats, trousers and overalls were manufactured from blue denim due to the shortage of olive drab cotton material.

As far as how the garments looked and changed between 1901 and 1918, I can’t really say because other that a brown canvas and blue denim Fatigue Cap, both of which were dated 1917, I’ve never owned any fatigue trousers or fatigue coats. Hopefully, other forum members do and will kind enough to post photographs or other information that may shed some light on fatigue uniforms, overalls and one piece combination suits or ‘coveralls’ issued by Uncle Sam between 1901 and 1918.

Here is what little I can contribute to the subject:

At the turn of the century, the U.S. Army issued only trousers to both its officers and enlisted men. Breeches would not be adopted by the Army until 1907. According to the Annual report of the Quartermaster-General for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 1901, the following trousers were included on the Quartermaster Department’s (QTMD) clothing inventory list:

Trousers, Canvas Fatigue, Trousers, Khaki (cotton), Trousers, Summer (bleached white cotton duck), Trousers, Engineers, Trousers, (olive drab woolen) Foot, Trousers, (olive drab woolen) Mounted, Trousers, Mackinaw (Navy blue woolen, kersey lined), Trousers, Oilskin (waterproof)

world war I nerd

Photo No. 01: This photo taken sometime around 1907, shows either a pair of very faded olive drab or khaki Trousers, Canvas, Fatigue, worn by the soldier at far right. Or they could be a pair of very soiled bleached white Trousers, Summer. Does anybody know?

post-5143-0-52408500-1392565854.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 02: In this photo, men of the Coast Artillery Corps (CAC) load a large caliber shell into one of the big coastal guns. Often the 1904 Fatigue Uniform would be worn by troops like these while they performed this duty. The 1912 Uniform Regulations described what articles of, and by whom the fatigue uniform was to be worn:

All enlisted men, except of the Coast Artillery. On fatigue, at stables and at mountain battery drills, involving packing and unpacking. (Mounted troops to whom stable frocks and overalls have been issued will wear them on stable duty instead of the fatigue uniform.)

1. Fatigue coat.

2. Fatigue trousers.

3. Service hat. (Campaign Hat)

4. Black or russet leather shoes, as may be prescribed by the commanding officer.

5. Leather gloves by those whose work requires it.

Enlisted men of the Coast Artillery. On fatigue or at work or drill at emplacements. (Fatigue clothing will not be worn by enlisted men at drill in range towers or plotting rooms.)

1. Fatigue coat.

2. Fatigue trousers.

3. Blue denim hat.

4. Black or russet leather shoes, as may be prescribed by the commanding officer.

5. Leather gloves by those whose work requires it.

NOTE. Noncommissioned officers in charge of working parties will not wear the fatigue uniform unless their duties be such as to make it necessary.

post-5143-0-14769300-1392565929.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 03: Besides protecting the coast, the CAC was also responsible for protecting the sea around the coastal fortifications. Two of the men shown here are wearing the 1904 Fatigue Uniform, comprised of a brown canvas fatigue cap, fatigue coat and fatigue trousers.

post-5143-0-53701200-1392565985.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 04: This example of a fatigue cap likely dated 1917 is made from brown canvas which was also called ‘cotton duck’ and occasionally denim. Presumably, the style had changed little since it was adopted in 1904 or possibly earlier?

post-5143-0-93627100-1392566032.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 05: Three different styles of early 20th century U.S. Army issued trousers are being worn in this photograph of what looks like a punishment detail policing up the company street circa 1904. The left-hand soldier wears the olive drab woolen service trousers, while the guard in the center wears a pair of khaki cotton service trousers, and the man on the right has donned a pair of 1904 brown cotton duck fatigue trousers. Notice that there is no taper on the bottom of the trouser legs to facilitate the wearing of leggings, and how the fatigue trousers were cut loose so that they could be worn over the regulation service trousers or breeches.

post-5143-0-11597200-1392566084.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 06: The 1904 brown cotton duck fatigue coat was also cut loose so it could be worn over the regulation service coat. The soldier’s fatigue coat on the left seems to have a slightly different configuration, base on the ‘V’ shaped row of stitching that bisects the left hand, breast pocket. Because neither photo is dated it’s difficult to know which version is earlier.

Note: the color photograph is a copy of the one posted above by US Victory Museum.

post-5143-0-22495700-1392566172.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 07: These CAC troops are on mine laying duty off the coast of Washington State. Each man wears what looks like a complete olive drab fatigue uniform.

post-5143-0-77754200-1392566238.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 08: Three of the men in this photo taken around 1916, are wearing the 1904 Fatigue Trousers with patch type front pockets. The others are wearing 1911 Service Breeches in olive drab wool and white cotton duck Summer Trousers. Summer trousers were authorized for wear by officers and men on duty at general recruiting stations, which was to be determined for each recruiting district by the officer in charge of the district.

The enlisted men of the Hospital Corps were also authorized to wear the white summer trouser in hospital wards, dispensaries, post-mortem rooms, operating rooms and when on duty assisting dental surgeons. In addition all Army cooks and bakers were to wear a white cotton coat and summer trousers, along with a white apron and cook’s hat while working in bakeries and kitchens.

post-5143-0-93303300-1392566291.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 09: This photo likely taken during the spring of 1917, after the U.S. had declared war on Imperial Germany shows the rear patch pockets of the fatigue trousers. It’s difficult to tell for sure, but the trousers also appear to have an adjustment belt at the top of the rear waist. These adjustment belts were used on all Army trousers and breeches until 1917, when they were omitted from the 1917 Service Breeches as a wartime economy measure. Note the overalls in the background.

post-5143-0-70294400-1392566342.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 10: The sniper in the forefront appears to be wearing a brown canvas fatigue coat and a pair of blue denim fatigue trousers. It’s possible that both garments are made from blue denim and the coat has just faded to a lighter shade of blue. However, it looks like a different color to me. If you look carefully at the man on the far right, he has pleated breast pockets which would make him a member of the USMC. Also the first aid pouch worn by the sniper at left appears to be Navy issued.

Even before the Quartermaster Department began gearing up for WW I, it was felt the pinch created by the scarcity of khaki and olive drab colored dyes that before the outbreak of war in 1914, had been imported from Germany. With so much new canvas and cotton clothing being produced; it was decided that blue denim would be substituted for the olive drab and brown canvas fabrics used on the Army’s fatigue uniform and overalls because those garments would not be worn at the front. At some point in 1917, every Army volunteer, recruit and conscript was issued with a blue denim fatigue uniform which was promptly dubbed the ‘blue suit’. These garments were only issued to or needed by new recruits and buck privates. First class privates and corporals were excused from most fatigue duties.

post-5143-0-11507300-1392566395.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 11: Another pair of WW I era fatigue trousers. This pair looks to be made from olive drab canvas, as they closely match the color of the pugilist’s olive drab flannel shirt. The bottom of the trouser legs are frequently seen with the bottoms turned up, as in this photograph.

post-5143-0-21166200-1392566456.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 12: Overalls were also listed as an article of equipment for the Army. The earliest I’ve seen them mentioned is in the 1901 Quartermaster General’s annual report. These Army recruits all seem to be wearing overalls made from khaki or brown cloth, not blue denim which would become more common in late 1917 and throughout 1918.

post-5143-0-21238700-1392566631.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 13: Large numbers of men began their Army service wearing either the civilian clothes they wore on their backs when they reported for duty or they were issued with a ’blue suit’ or a pair of denim overalls until proper military clothing filtered down the Army’s supply chain. Note that almost all of the men are wearing blue denim fatigue trousers except for two. One is wearing a pair of brown canvas fatigue trousers and the man behind him wears a pair of blue denim overalls. A captain in the 77th Division, explained what the situation was like in September of 1917 upon his arrival at Camp Upton in New York,

Alighting at the station, the vanguard of officers crossed the tracks, acknowledged the salute of a Negro sentinel, and then took a motor bus for the camp half a mile away. Here they found little to suggest the recently established military regime, and the few uniforms were lost in the predominating mufti-a-mufti for the most part of overalls. The rough roads, always abominably dusty when they were not vilely muddy, the stumps remaining from the recently cleared forest of scrub oak, and the unpainted shacks of every sort and size, all these suggested a huge western mining camp in the throes of a violent boom.”

Captain L. Wardlaw Miles, 308th Infantry, 77th Division, AEF

Two months later, in November, the situation in respect to the Army issuing proper clothing to new recruits hadn’t really changed all that much, based on this report made by a soldier training to be a machine gunner for the 80th Division,

At that time there was a great shortage of uniforms, as most of the output had been forwarded to France to be used by the old regular divisions who were sent overseas after war was declared. Accordingly, blue overalls were first furnished our men to take the place of the O.D. (olive drab), which they were later to receive. In fact, with the exception of the campaign hat and field shoes, they rather resembled a gang of prisoners than a troop of soldiers.

Private Charles M. DuPuy, 314th MG Battalion, 80th Division, AEF

post-5143-0-29611700-1392566723.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 14: Before WW I, the Army also employed a one piece combination suit, presumably for military mechanics or soldiers whose duties routinely exposed them grease, oil and other forms of soiling. In this photo circa 1914, the CAC soldier on the right looks to be wearing his olive drab coveralls over a pair of brown canvas fatigue trousers. My best guess for the men on the left is that they are civilian technicians or contractors of some sort.

post-5143-0-14987100-1392566781.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 15: The one piece combination suits continued to be used throughout WW I. As far as I know they were only made from olive drab and possibly khaki, not blue denim colored cloth, as they were intended for use by AEF personnel near the front lines. At left is a member of the Army Corps of Engineers wearing what almost looks like a one piece flight suit. The photo on the right is rather curious because the aviator happens to be a female! Nevertheless, the hand painted camouflage combination suit is unusual to say the least. The fact that both soldiers are wearing overseas caps indicates that the photo was taken somewhere in Europe between 1917 and 1919.

post-5143-0-04623800-1392566832.jpg