You May Fire When Ready Gridley !

Wharfmaster

This is an old hand engraved Officer's napkin ring from Dewey's Flagship USS Olympia. The vessel's name is engraved on one side and the image on the other.

Found it in an antique shop last weekend. I have not seen another one to the Olympia.

My photos are not the best, but you get the idea.

W

post-525-0-87948200-1392514522.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

Having done some Living History stuff on the Olympia, I have to say, nice piece!! sharing this with the guys from the LH crew.

W, Commence eating! That's a neat addition for your collection. Was that typical in the 19th and early 20th century for a shipboard officers' mess to have engraved napkin rings with the ship's name and an image? Fantastic artifact to an iconic ship that served through WW1 and hopefully will be around for years to come.

W, Commence eating! That's a neat addition for your collection. Was that typical in the 19th and early 20th century for a shipboard officers' mess to have engraved napkin rings with the ship's name and an image? Fantastic artifact to an iconic ship that served through WW1 and hopefully will be around for years to come.

Thanks AB. I have a few Naval Officer napkin rings in my collection and this is now the oldest. They are most often found engraved with the ship or ships names and the Officer's name only. My Father's brass napkin ring from WW2 has his name, ship and (small) officer's cap insignia attached.

Regards,

W

Having done some Living History stuff on the Olympia, I have to say, nice piece!! sharing this with the guys from the LH crew.

Do you have any photos from those living history on the Olympia? Would be very cool to see.

Great napkin ring relic!

That is a nice prize Wharf, I hope there are others to compare it too!

JS, would love to see another ! :o Who knows. :D

Wharf