Is this WAVE uniform indeed from WWII?

WWIIWaveGal

Dear all -

By now, I have purchased an item from one of your members and have posted a few topics. Also have done research on a WWII WAVE uniform. So, by now i'm getting more comfortable with identifying period correct tags etc. However, I do want to double check on this one. Is this uniform a true WWII WAVE uniform. According to the owner, it is 100% authentic WWII. It was obtained from a local theater company who was phasing out their own costume department and selling things off. They had collected a lot of vintage clothing & accessories with a large amount of military clothing over the years to use in their productions. Although the owner is unsure of where the theater co. obtained it from, it does carry the previous owners name tag though. I'm going to incorporate the pics. So, what do you guys think, WWII or not WWII?

Sincerely,

Christine E. Albin

post-151147-0-12991600-1392512389.jpg

post-151147-0-24848100-1392512390.jpg

post-151147-0-21480300-1392512391.jpg

post-151147-0-13855100-1392512392.jpg

post-151147-0-61752200-1392512392.jpg

Dear Johndanger,

LOL - am well aware of blitzkreigbaby :), I am adding a WWII WAVE Lieutenant Commander Supply Corp to my portrayals and have used that site not only as a reference for me, but for my seamstress. That one tag is definitely WWII (the later style of a WAVE tag), but the name tag - do you guys think that is WWII? I ask a lot of questions from a seller and ask other collectors what they think before even making a monetary commitment.

Sincerely,

Christine Albin

Christine,

Welcome aboard! The "Real or What" section is normally used when there is a question of authenticity.

This item appears to be authentic, it's just a matter of from what time period.

I have moved this to the category "Women's Services" and modified the title so perhaps you will receive additional input.

Are there any marks that show ribbons having been attached? If so that is a point in its favor as she probably would have had American Campaign and WW2 Victory. If not it is neutral because she may have never had the occasion to wear the uniform after being awarded any medals. What is your issue with the nametag? The picture is too small to make out any detail. If you think it's too modern it may well have been added after the war, but that doesn't detract from the uniform. I hope you get it, it's very nice :)

I read somewhere that the label that says W.A.V.E.S. is only WWII, the Woman's Reserve tag is post-war. Now just like the Factory vs. Depot tags on men's uniforms it probably changed in 1945 so someone having WWII service could receive a "post-war" uniform before discharge. So I would say it is 1945 at the earliest. Waves were to be temporary and as the war was winding down the decision was made to keep it after the war.

Anything anyone wants to add? The info on the internet is spotty at best on woman's uniforms.

Paul

Dear Grant S. - sorry for the size. I can try to re-post it...see if it's any bigger. Issue - well, i guess my issue would be it's just to hard to tell if it's an actual WWII tag - it's definitely aged and printed. I now have two books on WWII WAVES. None of these books show that particular kind of tag. The seller did not include a pic of an interior pocket label tag which would indicate if it's WWII. Also - good question about the marks for ribbons - i'll ask. She won't be back to her comp until Monday.

Dear Paul70 - Yes, you are correct. Later on (immediately after WWII), the label was changed to read "Made & Sold Under Authority of U.S. Navy, U.S. Women's Naval Women's Reserve" (info coming from Dressed for Duty - America's Women in Uniform). So more than likely, yes - it's from 45 or later. As far as cut, fabric etc. - it's spot on for being from WWII.

Sincerely,

Christine A.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, be aware, many of the WAVE uniforms (including the Blue) were manufactured as late as 1972. About 6 years ago, I had well over two dozen cutter-tagged WAVE uniforms, identical, in every respect, to WW2 (just slightly different fabric weight). The garrison caps are also identical, so be careful and read the labels carefully.

WWIIWaveGal

Dear all -

Unfortunately, someone bought this uniform while i was away at the Show of Shows. LOL - bastards, just kidding ;). As the saying goes - Que Sera, Sera. Just didn't want to buy too much before i left. Still, thanks for all of your input. I was able to find another great piece here before heading to KY :).

Sincerely,

Christine Albin

WWIIWaveGal

Also, be aware, many of the WAVE uniforms (including the Blue) were manufactured as late as 1972. About 6 years ago, I had well over two dozen cutter-tagged WAVE uniforms, identical, in every respect, to WW2 (just slightly different fabric weight). The garrison caps are also identical, so be careful and read the labels carefully.

Sorry guys - just saw this after i made the above post. I now have a great resource for the WAVES with wonderful pictures. Thanks for the tip Squidres :). Although i am just now reading this, i was making sure to read all labels and cross-check them with the reference while out of town. LOL - must have been reading your mind ;).

Once I get digging in my storage unit, I will try to post some photos of the late labels from Blue and White uniforms, and the blue hats, but may be a few weeks. Also today at the US Navy Historical Museum, saw an amazing Gray light-weight nurses dress unlike anything I had seen previously........left my iphone in the car......darn....will bring phone when I go back in a couple of weeks....amazing piece