Stalag 344 POW Dog Tag

Wharfmaster

Found this POW dog tag in a local antique shop. Unfortunately, nothing else with it.

Stalag VIII B Lansdorf, later changed to 344, held POWs from nearly all Allied Nations. To include some Yanks.

I will probably never know who it belonged to, but you don't find POW tags every day. They are worth picking up when found reasonably.

W

post-525-0-55775700-1392427629.jpg

The highest probability is that this tag was issued to a British or Canadian POW. Very few Americans were in this camp. I do have 1 piece of POW mail from an American in this camp.

Kurt

Thanks guys, this is the only POW dog tag I have found in an antique shop in years of collecting. It is indeed possible that the man was a Canadian or a Yank flying with the RCAF.

W

On this website you can search by POW ID for RAF/RCAF personnel

http://www.rafcommands.com/Ross/Air%20Force%20PoWs/RAF%20POWs%20Query%20C_1.html

I didn't find 40336. Good chance he was a ground guy. That would make sense for 344. Most aviation personnel would have gone to a Luft Stalag.

Kurt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will probably never know who it belonged to, but you don't find POW tags every day. They are worth picking up when found reasonably.

W

I am afraid that Your dog tag was never issued to a POW.

This dog tag has been found in Lamsdorf some 10 Years ago together with other houndreds 344 dog tags

at the place where the German guards had their compaund untill 1945.

Bestreg.

kindzjal