Some Vietnam war era Seawolves patches from my collection

Patchcollector

vintageproductions

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the green background patch in post #10. This is a very typical Cecil / made for collectors / Cheap Charlie ( whatever bs name you want to call them) Vietnamese made pocket patch.

Whomever got it, got a great patch for a great price.

I don't get why anyone would want to peel back the paper to look under it. The backing, from the photo, looks like a piece of a rice sack / bag.

Patchcollector

I don't get why anyone would want to peel back the paper to look under it. The backing, from the photo, looks like a piece of a rice sack / bag.

Just curious! :)

The green Seawolf patch in post #10 is classic, made-for-collector type of patch (aka "Cheap Charlie"). If that fits into your collection....great! It's just not for my collection. Just like the Det 4 Seawolf patch that started this thread. It's just not for me.

Classic Cheap Charlie or not, spelling wrong, missing shield, no barbs on the end of the trident, incorrect color tabs,... It is a poor copy of a great looking patch, It doesn't matter where or when it was made, its a poor copy... I have a few of the Cheap Charlie's in my collection they at least they have all the components and colors of the originals...As I said if the new owner is happy that's all that matters. Lets not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear however.

Bob, I just looked for the last Sea Wolf patch that was on your site for sale, you claimed to be the ugliest Sea Wolf patch ever,,, I liked it but didn't have the scratch to buy it, As I recall it had the shield with the spade, it had the barbs on the end of the trident, all the spelling was correct and the bottom tab was the correct color..

Even the ugliest by your claim had all correct parts... I am not close to the pro status of many who have posted on this subject, I am just a collector and this my .02 worth! it may be a "real" Cheap Charlie but it's an ugly "Cheap Charlie"

vintageproductions

The seller of the green seawolves (Carl Robin) also had a matching one of what I called the ugliest Sea Wolf ever. For those of you who don't know the sellers name, let me just add that I hold him in the same regard as I do Bill Scott, rarepatchman.

Patchcollector

The seller of the green seawolves (Carl Robin) also had a matching one of what I called the ugliest Sea Wolf ever. For those of you who don't know the sellers name, let me just add that I hold him in the same regard as I do Bill Scott, rarepatchman.

Good to know.BTW,both the Seawolves patches in post # 10 were offered by Carl.I did'nt win either,but I did win a sweet Vietnam War USMC 3rd Recon Battalion piece from him that I will post soon.

Patchcollector

Well my FASU Binh Thuy patch has arrived and since it is a Seawolf related unit,I'll post it here with the rest of my Seawolf collection.These guys did crash rescue,among other things.It is a great design and is a Vietnam war era theatre made piece.

post-13386-0-61190000-1393419852.jpg

Patchcollector

Back view.Notice that there are still remnants of the paper backing among the letters and the figure of the men.

post-13386-0-18055000-1393420007.jpg

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

Here is the newest addition to my Seawolves family,courtesy of fellow forum member Mitch.Thanks man!

post-13386-0-85962500-1399146806.jpg

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

I just picked up this one and wanted to post it here with my other Seawolves related stuff.

post-13386-0-02902600-1405144189.jpg

There are a few former Sea Wolf pilots that live in the area. Very remarkable men from a great Unit. I have heard some very interesting stories.

Semper Fly

John

Patchcollector

There are a few former Sea Wolf pilots that live in the area. Very remarkable men from a great Unit. I have heard some very interesting stories.

Semper Fly

John

I can imagine.The Seawolves are legend.Hope they are leaving a written or video historical narrative of their experiences.

This is not a patch, but I thought it was relevant to the discussion. This is a hand-tooled belt buckle for a HAL-3 Det-2 Aircrewman. I felt fortunate to have found this one. This aircrewman was in the squadron in 1971. Thanks for looking.

Chris

post-10825-0-05264200-1405864279.jpg

• 2 years later...

This is not a patch, but I thought it was relevant to the discussion. This is a hand-tooled belt buckle for a HAL-3 Det-2 Aircrewman. I felt fortunate to have found this one. This aircrewman was in the squadron in 1971. Thanks for looking.

Chris

image.jpg

. Subic made! I have two of my own for the 2 Rates I was over the yesrs

• 5 months later...
Patchcollector

Happy Friday all,
A welcome addition to my "pack" of Seawolves is this incountry made example.

I'm real happy with it ,it's nice and salty and looks to have been worn.

post-13386-0-64215800-1498858502_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

I haven't been able to figure out a specific unit designation for this patch but from the looks of it I'm pretty sure they would have been involved with servicing Seawolf Gunships so I'm putting it here with my other Seawolf related stuff.If anyone has any further info for this patch,please let me know.

post-13386-0-05759400-1502047134_thumb.jpg