US M1 100th Inf. Div. medic helmet

Hambone

Great looking helmet. Love to see 100th items posted, Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Jason. I have some other German bring back 100th ID items. They have a great association website and I was able to ID the vet's service history, unit actions, etc., as well as the medic pics.

Thanks for adding more pics and background on the helmet. It is helpful to new members and old collectors on what to look for in a true painted helmet.

Glad to see the helmet forum is back "normal."

Pete

This helmets great.

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Owen, that is very kind of you.

Kind regards,

HB

Admin Notice: I just finished removing all the arguing which had NOTHING to do with this helmet. Please, let this helmet be what this discussion is all about. This is by far an incredible helmet and needs to be discussed as such. - Scott(Bugme)

No interest in buying it, just wondering. I would not take a chance on this helmet judging from the pictures posted.

Not a sales thread.

No interest in buying it, just wondering. I would not take a chance on this helmet judging from the pictures posted.

What red flags do you see

I don't want to judge it based on the few photographs posted. I would like to see the inside to start with.

What red flags do you see

I don't want to judge it based on the few photographs posted. I would like to see the inside to start with.

Agreed Would be good to see the inside

Need more pictures. What is the asking price?

"Need more pictures, what is the asking price" sure sounds to me like you are interested. Then later you say that: "No interest in buying it..." and then a few words later you say: "...I would not take a chance on this helmet judging from the pictures." Again, this sounds like if you had better photo's then you'd take a chance??? Help me out here.

I haven't posted it for sale "Broker". The pictures here are lo rez as that is all that is allowed. Here is a picture of the inside. I'd about bet my life on the originality of the helmet. I've been at this a long time, have it in hand, know where it came from, the circumstances of the sale. It's untouched and out of the woodwork, uncleaned.

German "camo" helmets have been humped since the 1960s, probably before. Way back then it was "Afrika Korps" "camos" which were popular and a way to make a $20 helmet a $75 helmet. Since the late 80s, and particularly early 90s, German camouflage helmets started breaking away in value from non-camo helmets. Since about the mid 90s the amount of fraud in the creation of "camo" helmets and "SS helmets" has taken off, and so too has the level of skill involved. I've been collecting camouflage German helmets since the 80s. Being able to discern original from fake is a "survival" skill one hones after many years. US M1 helmets haven't been faked that long. I most circumstances it is easier to put a "follow me" stripe or unit designation on an M1 helmet than hump a German M.35/40/42 with "camo" paint.

Most of my camouflage helmets are well worn. That is because it is far more difficult to fake a helmet worn in combat conditions over a period of years, and then add 70+ years worth of even oxidation to that. It is incredibly tough for a faker, even a really good one, to create this gradual wear of many months on a field used helmet, and then duplicate 70+ years of oxidation, particularly through successive layers of overpaint, camo, etc. Those who know what I am talking about know. Some think they know but don't. The subject helmet I've posted is not something one could easily fake, or fake at all, given the wear, age, and paint layers. Those who know how to spot forced and artificial wear (sometimes called "tool marks"), chemical aging, the use of heat, etc., and what 70+ years of oxidation on an original helmet know what I am talking about.

I guess I thought that you saw it for sale and was wondering if the investment was worth the asking price.

Okay, thanks for the picture and additional information.

I haven't posted it for sale "Broker". The pictures here are lo rez as that is all that is allowed. Here is a picture of the inside. I'd about bet my life on the originality of the helmet. I've been at this a long time, have it in hand, know where it came from, the circumstances of the sale. It's untouched and out of the woodwork, uncleaned.

I rarely buy from collectors. For some reason, I thought that the original poster was purchasing it
based on the pictures that he posted so I was concerned about what might be the asking price. Not sure why this has become an issue.

"Need more pictures, what is the asking price" sure sounds to me like you are interested. Then later you say that: "No interest in buying it..." and then a few words later you say: "...I would not take a chance on this helmet judging from the pictures." Again, this sounds like if you had better photo's then you'd take a chance??? Help me out here.