A-14 Oxygen mask with 8th AF modification kit

Sabrejet

This came in the mail today. Unissued, in-the-box. It's a A-14 mask with accessories specifically for use by the 8th AF in the ETO. The box is marked as such. The pics are just snapshots taken as I unpacked it, but they show the components clearly enough.

post-8022-0-36445200-1392394470.jpg

post-8022-0-76873000-1392394471.jpg

Nice work there Buddy, was this one of the recent ones up for grabs on Ebay, the seller had quite a few in various states and completeness.

Cheers Dave

Nice work, Ive just bought another myself from the States, size medium, seeing a lot around these days which have gone hard, sad to see.

Nice work, Ive just bought another myself from the States, size medium, seeing a lot around these days which have gone hard, sad to see.

I've got a few of these A14s, some supple like the day they were made, others a little stiff. Even this unissued one has lost some flexibility in its cheek pieces, but it's fine for display. Unfortunately, 70 year old rubber is prone to natural degradation caused by irreversible chemical changes.

I was always curiosity if this mask straight from box still saled are always good, not dry and cracked from storage...

Looks very fresh and strong!

Cheers,

Jerry

I was always curiosity if this mask straight from box still saled are always good, not dry and cracked from storage...

Looks very fresh and strong!

Cheers,

Jerry

Just a little "stiff" in the area of the cheek pieces Jerry, but nothing serious.

That is a Beauty!!!! I was out bid on a couple of these that were just on ebay.

If someone could be so kind as to let me know, What is the "8th A.F. MODIFICATION" to these A14's?

I am working on a display and it would be for a member of the 8th A.F.. Is the "8th A.F. MODIFICATION" the type I need to be looking for to have my display correct?

Semper Fi

Phil

The info leaflet refers to a modification described as an "anti-freeze insert " intended to prevent icing up at altitude, which sounds about right for 8th AF O2 equipment given the extreme altitudes at which they routinely operated. This modification is internal and therefore cannot be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Ian.

I recall seeing boxed ones at every show when I was a boy.Price was $10-$15 each.All the surplus dealers in ShotGun News had them as well.l still have the boxed one l bought 40 years ago and a few others.Seems like they were plentiful at one time then dried up over night.Even the auctions here would produce one's 3to 4 times a year but not so much now.

Nice specimen Ian , displays very nicely .

Here's a photo of the 8TH AF Mod Phil .

Thanks for adding that photo Nigel.

Ron... I wish they were just $10 / $15 today!! :o

Me 2.

I have a boxed one in a USN pilots group.He served late war through the 50s.Flew Panthers then Cargo planes out of Minneapolis.

Several I have had over the years even have vBulletin the mic installed.

$10-$15!!!! Man O Man. If I knew back then what I know now. I would have saved my lawn mowing money for these.

Also a big Thank's to you Nigel for that pic!!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

A pleasure Ian, Phil .

I too remember when they were cheap and plentiful , not 10-15 USD cheap but...

as doyler said they were all over the place even Here in the U.K.

back then I collected Jet age U.S. stuff and passed up many a boxed A-14 :wacko: .

now I buy them when I find them because they're getting very hard to find especially in nice shape .