WW2 US Army Bicycles

Johan Willaert

craig johnson

New photo I just got. Dont think this one was posted before.

1187779949_NtmjL-L.jpg

The first one appears to be a Military bicycle. Cant tell for sure on the others.

1187779850_eS8Uh-L.jpg

1187780054_Ug8fa-X2.jpg

• 2 months later...
Johan Willaert

Last Saturday saw a bunch of bike nuts cycle roughly 25 miles through the Belgian countryside...
There were 10 of us in total with the following bikes:

US: 2 X Westfield Columbia Model MG
German: 3 x TruppenFahrRad
British: 2 x Mk V and 1 Mk VI
Swiss: 1 Army Bike
Belgian: 1 pre-WW2 civilian model

The following group picture was taken at an 1843 Belgian/Dutch border marker:

post-92-0-38403700-1399555943.jpg

Johan Willaert

Here's an original picture of a Huffman at Lowry Field (CO) about 1945/1946....

Description said SQUAD R3705 A.A.B.U.(T.S.), whatever that may be....

Can anyone identify the airplane?

Thanks,

post-92-1304954169.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

The plane would be a C54 Skymaster...

Here's another picture of the same bike, same place and time...

post-92-1306830373.jpg

MeganLindsay

My inclination is that this bike that my father just gave to me is actually a civilian bike used at Hickam AFB during WWII, but I thought that I'd post and make sure that I don't have anything particularly rare or special since my original intent was to plant some petunias in the baskets! This seems to be the place to ask for any information you might have on the bike. Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to share.

post-45686-1307477644.jpgpost-45686-1307477658.jpg

post-45686-1307477678.jpgpost-45686-1307477691.jpg

post-45686-1307477705.jpg

I'm no expert by any means on bicycles, but with it being marked "Hickam AFB" I'd be leaning towards late 40's - 50's vintage since the Air Force wasn't created until 1947. Before that, they were called Army Air Bases or Army Air Fields.

Johan Willaert

I would agree that this is a post WW2 civilian bicycle pressed into service on the airbase.

The serial number which you could find on the frame underneath the crankset could tell us more.

It is definately not a WW2 contract Military model as issued to the US Army...

Nice bike, and you might consider riding it...

Johan

MeganLindsay

Thanks for the replies, Pops and Johan - there are no markings on the bottom of the bike's crank shaft or on the housing itself. I think that you are right in that this is definitely post WWII and just used on the base later. I appreciate your help! Still a fun bike and probably would be a good ride! Cheers.

craig_pickrall

Since it is a female bike it may have been provided by Special Services for use by off duty personnel or their family members for pleasure riding.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just won this with a Buy It Now on EBAY. Just lucky I guess, could have been anyone of us because it was listed as Military Bicycle.

I know the other photo is not a military bicycle but they are GI's

B-10 or D-10 on the headlight ???? Looks like a white spot of paint on the front goose neck. Maybe an identifying mark like my bikes have on them.

img092-L.jpg

Link to super size it.

http://handcartz.smugmug.com/Hobbies/MILIT.../0/O/img092.jpg

Looks like some numbers are stenciled on the front fender like they were rented or checked out.

img093-L.jpg

Johan Willaert

Great picture, Craig! Thanks for sharing.

Could the 'white spot' be a small metallic plaque carrying a duplicate frame number?

craig johnson

It seems like the spot wraps around the goose neck to far to be a plaque but you never know. Just noticed there is a leather tool pouch attached to the seat

craig johnson

Its not the greatest picture but I threw a little at it so it didnt get thrown away someday. Cant see to much detail but there is a pump, headlight and I believe a pouch on the seat so I would say it a real Military Bicycle. At least one of us got it and we both like to share. :)

• 1 year later...
Johan Willaert

Over the past year or so I have been slowly semi-restoring a 1942 Huffman bicycle....

Basically I started with an original paint frame, front forks and wheels and found the missing parts along the way.

I use the term semi-restore because whatever parts were salvageable in original paint were kept that way with broken or missing being replaced with either NOS or restored parts....

So yesterday I assembled it all and took it for a short testride... Still need to make final adjustments and add a few parts (grips etc..)... Love the way it turned out and will be great fun riding it in Normandy come June...

Before & After

post-92-0-76574200-1397466656.jpg

post-92-0-01645000-1397466664.jpg

• 1 month later...

Can anybody point me in the right direction to find a period set of handle grips, and pedals? I'm restoring a look-alike AAF bicycle, and those are the only parts that are preventing me from finishing. I also want to replace the seat with a brooks saddle, because I can't find a better alternative.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...