WW2 US Army Bicycles

Johan Willaert

• 3 weeks later...
kyhistorian01

Here is a picture of Cpl later Sgt Ed Hillman who was part of a base Army Air Force Band before shipping out as a gunner to the pacific. You will note that his Bicycle has Air Force Band written on it.

Robert

post-6492-1247700098.jpg

Johan Willaert

It's obviously a civilian bicycle put to good use by the USAAF...

I wonder if it was painted OD, but looking at the chrome finish which appears under the paint on the handlebars, I assume it was...

Nice picture!!! I would like to use it on my webpage, is that OK?

Johan

kyhistorian01
It's obviously a civilian bicycle put to good use by the USAAF...

I wonder if it was painted OD, but looking at the chrome finish which appears under the paint on the handlebars, I assume it was...

Nice picture!!! I would like to use it on my webpage, is that OK?

Johan

Dear Johan,

I have no problem with you using the photo on your site. I checked it out an its a nice site. I eould appriciate it if you would give me credit for it as it comes from a group of photos I have from one veteran in my archives. My name is Robert Snow and I am from Kentucky. I have another post you may be interested in as well under vehicles. It the topic that mentions stacked jeeps and trucks ready for loading on ships for overseas, subtitled the Smith Plan. Thanks for asking.

Robert

fortworthgal

We own 3 or 4 bicycles, but all are civilian 1940s bikes that have been repainted (one is a 1930s British-made, but I cannot remember the brand.) We have done 3 in military paint and 1 is restored as a straight civilian bicycle with black paint and a Brooks saddle and bag.

I think the painted-to-military civilian bicycles are a good compromise for those of us who want to actually ride them at WWII events, rather than taking an original and rare bicycle out onto a hot airfield tarmac and risk damaging it. That isn't to say I am not envious of all the fantastic originals!

At home I have a photograph of 2 WACs in England, I believe in fall 1944, on civilian bicycles. I'll try to remember to scan it and post it here.

Also one thing I find interesting is the use of coaster brakes. Several reenactors have argued with me that coaster brakes simply did not exist until the 1960s. It appears that all the true military issue bikes utilized coaster brakes.

Johan Willaert
I have no problem with you using the photo on your site. I checked it out an its a nice site. I eould appriciate it if you would give me credit for it as it comes from a group of photos I have from one veteran in my archives.

Thanks Robert,

Just added it about 2/3 down on this page:

http://www.theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm

Johan Willaert

Nice detail on that last picture...

M3 Grease Gun with taped mags, middle helmet marked to the unit and that bike is a standard German Army one...

craig johnson

Since the picture will go away soon heres a picture of the Military Bicycle on EBAY. Interesting that the auction ended when the reserve was met. Nice of the seller to come up with a price he was comfortable with and let it go for that.

592261075_9mk4E-L.jpg

craig johnson

I now have a contribution to the Military bicycle post. I just acquired these bikes about a week ago, or I should say my Dad made another long trip to pick something up for me because I was busy. I really haven't had the time to look them over to close yet. I suspect that a peddle, kickstand, or a grip or two is not correct Military, but they at least should be what was replaced while in military service.

Johan or anybody else feel free to pick anything out on the bike you see is incorrect. I'm knowledgeable about the bikes,but by no means an expert.

Some things about the bikes.

All four tires are U.S. Royal Master Centipede Grip (marked War tire) 26 x 2.125 They are checked (tiny cracks) and cannot be ridden on.

Light original to bike

Pump original to bike. Not in the right spot. Can see paint worn where the pump should go.

Bell. Have not taken the time to see if it is Bevin marked.

The bikes were surplussed and to the best of Jim's (the seller) knowledge were not touched by the previous owner.

I found these on the Internet about 12 years ago and have been waiting for them to come up for sale. He lived in a town that now escapes me ,but he eventually moved to Clark Fork, Idaho where my Dad went to get them. This is by Post Falls.

Here is what little history I have on the bikes

"Quote from the seller"

“Well our military bicycles came from the Oakland Army Depot. CA. The man I bought them from used to go to a Lot of actions, military and otherwise. He collected all kinds of odd and weird things. From mannequins to a horse drawn hearse. Kinda cool really, but you need a big place to put it all. That's about all the history I have on the bicycles.”

A bunch of photos in this gallery.

http://handcartz.smugmug.com/gallery/8763603_92MzR

585815426_xAUpS-S.jpg579596967_drWd3-M.jpg

599330200_kixoT-S.jpg579596834_XmAwk-M.jpg

599330228_9QYaf-S.jpg599330576_6qozr-S.jpg

599330605_CKhNE-S.jpg599330393_2cJax-S.jpg

599330477_FEbaK-S.jpg599330449_QH9he-S.jpg

Johan Willaert

VERY!!!! nice, Craig, especially the Women's model!

The Men's bike's a Huffman, but I guess you already figured that out...

Johan

Johan Willaert
Johan or anybody else feel free to pick anything out on the bike you see is incorrect. I'm knowledgeable about the bikes,but by no means an expert.

Well finally found some time to check out all images and details about these bikes.

And there's only one thing to say really: 'WOW!!!!'

Both are absolutely 100% original WW2 issued bikes. And to add, both are rather uncommon as you hardly ever see a women's model (I know of only three, this one included) and the Huffman made men's bike appears to much harder to find than the Columbia.

I don't think anything at all was replaced on these over the years, except maybe some handlebar grips... But again this is speculation as both could have been fitted with these earlier coke bottle style grips.

Having said all this, please put me first in line if these ever come up for sale??? :rolleyes:

Don't do anything to these, except maybe fitting some new tires to ride on....

Cheers,

JOhan

BTW Is it OK to use pictures of tires on my site???

craig johnson

Ever since I knew about these two bikes I never really had the desire to bid on any of the bikes that came up for sale on EBAY. There were some nice ones that came up, but always hoped these would come my way.

Feel free to use any photo you like.

I think the mens bike has a civilian Kickstand on it because it appears to have no green paint and leans over to much like its short or just bent. Just my initial assumption.

Of the top of my head I know of a couple of Womans bikes.

Found a Womans bicycle on the internet years ago. The guy was going to restore it and give it to a Wac museum or something like that. I will have to see if I have a picture of that one somewhere. Also there was a Womans frame that sold on EBAY 5? years ago.

The two you mention must be G. Desmet collection, and Im pretty sure Gerald M has one.(think thats his name)

209084999_UGfSq-M.jpg

Craig

Johan Willaert

Yes, the one that picture is now in the Desmet collection in Belgium and came off Ebay about 18 months ago...

The other one's indeed Gerald's....

craig johnson

Looking through some old paper work I printed out. Found an answer to a question I asked about an auction on EBAY. (25 July 2002)

Serial Number for a military bicycle MG42819. Cant find a picture of it at this time.

Craig

YankeeDiv26

Wow wonderful rides! :w00t: :w00t:

One of the guys in my unit restored a vintage (I'm not positive if it's from WWII) bike. He bought it for $5 at a yard sale and after a "little" work it came out beautifully. Not a USGI bike but I still loved it. Here's me on it doing Co. Messenger duty at Reading this year. After riding it around all weekend I decided I HAVE to have one for next year! :lol:

post-5589-0-69663900-1408505891.jpg

• 1 month later...

Me on my WW2 BSA Airborne Folding Bicycle(we since have removed the farby white fenders):
post-5589-0-79016400-1408505699.jpg
post-5589-0-29316500-1408505712.jpg

The bike completely folded:
post-5589-0-38582800-1408505730.jpg

Unfolding the bike:
post-5589-0-39913400-1408505749.jpg

-Josh

Cool, but not US!!!

I thought I had read somewhere that some US Paratroopers were given them, though they ditched them once in France as quickly as the Brits did(I also recall seeing a photo of one guy getting into a plane for Normady with one strapped to his leg)? If not I am sorry, and I will gladly delete the post.

-Josh