Another Call For ID And Value Of A Poster

RANDALL 1953

RANDALL 1953

In view of the last post of a poster ID and value here is one that I obtained at a flea market about 22 years ago. Cant recall what I paid but pretty sure it was not much. Condition is what you see, I would say near mint. Any thoughts on this one. Thanks.

post-2427-1211251099.jpg

Charlie Flick

Randall:

That is another great poster. In fact, I liked it so much I bought one myself about 20 years ago, in the medium size. It hangs in my library.

I particularly like the realistic style of the artist Jes W. Schlaikjer, who was Danish born. He was a prominent American illustrator/artist who died in 1982. He created quite a few heroic and beautifully executed posters for the Government in WW2, my favorite being "O'er the Ramparts They Watch".

I have not paid attention to poster prices for many years but I would guess that this one would be in the $200-$300 range, in excellent condition. It attracts not only the usual poster collectors but also guys who collect the Garand and USGI bayonets, so it has additional appeal and value.

HTH.

Charlie Flick

Homefrontguy

Just a comment on value. The value of posters was influenced greatly by the appearance of ebay. Ebay has caused a decline in the value of posters based on the simple measure of supply and demand. Ebay has made it easy for the market to be saturated with WWII posters. With the exception of posters that are rare and the occassional bidding war most posters on ebay are sold for less than what they are worth. Its important not to confuse sell price and value but after all its hard sometimes not to allow sell price to influence value based on the principles of economics. I believe once the large number of posters that are being found in old schools that are closing, tucked away in an old chest in the attic, folded in envelopes in a desk and so many other stories of people finding these gems, the sell price will return to what is a sellers market. At this point it is a buyers market. Once all of the originals are gobbled up and are harder to find and ebay is left with only the hundreds of reprints that are currently listed at any given time, values will return but until them poster collectors grab those bargains after you sort through all of the garbage on ebay.

Good Hunting,

Jim

RANDALL 1953

Thanks very much. Bought this one for the great artwork and because of the M1 Garand in it. Just measured the poster, it is 27 1/2 X 19 1/2 so I guess that would make it a medium size? Trying to remember, I think I paid the seller $5.00-$10.00 for it back then.

I like these older propaganda posters but don't know much about them. Is there any easy way to tell original from repro (other than obvious reprint info at the bottom)?

Bill

If you don't see creases in the it is a reprint. The original ones were shipped folded the new ones are shipped rolled. Keep in mind though that just because it has folds dose not make it real but no folds makes it a reprint.

Homefrontguy

The fold lines appear in the majority of posters printed by the US Government during WWII but you should not assume a poster is fake if it is without folds. Citizens requesting posters from the OWI or Department of Treasury would recieve them in the mail in brown envelopes of which I have seen three different sizes of envelope and thus the folds. I have however seen exceptions including some in the possession of a fellow collector that were originals and were available via other means in some larger cities such as those distributed to schools and libraries. Another collector has originals that were obtained directly from the mailing center by her Grandfather and I am sure they are not isolated stories. Yes these Government posters without folds would certainly be in the minority when compared to all of the posters available today but it would be a shame to pass on a great poster becuase you cant find 65 year old fold lines. It would be better to use other factors such as size, paper type, the blacklight test and the reputation of the seller/dealer. Also, many of the posters printed during the war were not US Government posters and many of these were never folded or mailed. I also have posters in my collection that were professionally restored and they no longer have fold lines. I would advise that a poster with no fold lines would just be one factor in your close inspection.

Good Hunting,

Jim

A great resource to learn more is Posters That Won the War by Derek Nelson.

I like posters.....I have a few and sell a few, but don't deal in them exclusively.

In my opinion this is about a $100 poster. You could figure a range of $75 on the lower end to sell it quicker, up to $125 if you really don't care if you sell it. The pic of the GI on it is cool, but there are other posters out there that have a better overall appearance. JMHO.

Thanks for posting it.

Hi,

Could someone tell me the value or anything about this war bond poster. I bought it in the 1980's for $50.00 dollars, I never saw another one for sale. I do see they reprint this poster though. I normally don't collect poster but I thought it looked neat, so I bought it. The poster came in this frame when purchased. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the bad picture.

Jason

post-2501-1211816222.jpg