Religious Cross

12A54

This silver cross was given to me by a veteran of the 104th ID (Timberwolves) about 40 years ago (a friend of my dad's) . I don't know the story behind it, but he had loads of photos of Cologne Cathedral so perhaps he got it there. The inscription says "Im Heilingen Jahre 1933 / 34" (in the holy year 1933 / 34). A medallion of the Pope is in the center. The Monuments Men movie inspired me to finally post this.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

post-9621-0-08387400-1392327979.jpg

post-9621-0-41109000-1392327999.jpg

post-9621-0-50053300-1392328017.jpg

I don't really know. His name was Art Hollman. I believe he was a company commander / captain. I remember him as a very kind, generous man. He told me many stories about his service and gave me all his uniforms, souvenirs, and photos. His father was a professional photographer and Art brought back several cameras when he returned after the war. Many of his things had already been given away (several daggers, Lugers, etc.). If you have any rosters, etc. I would love to learn more about him - I was really too young to appreciate him and put his experiences into perspective.

I could be wrong but I don't think that is the Pope.

If this were a Catholic piece I think Christ would be on the cross.

I think it is Protestant.

I could be wrong but I don't think that is the Pope.

If this were a Catholic piece I think Christ would be on the cross.

I think it is Protestant.

I am 99% sure that is Pope Pius IX. A lot of coins and medallions are pretty similar, it would help to know exactly what it says but the image is too small. I can make out XI though. And his papacy ran through the 1930s.

Not that you did not make some good observations.

RC

RC,

Thank you for softening the blow.

I too thought it might be a IX and would like to know what it says.

But the barren cross is not the norm for Catholics.

I have no theory yet.

It is the likeness of Pope Pius XI on the medallion.

He was Pope during this time until 1939.

Very modern art deco kind of cross.

I love it.

1933 would make sense as it was a Jubilee year celebrated by the church. The rope / lack of greater ornamentation makes me think this might have been made for a Franciscan, but it could also just be a reflection of German styles in the early 1930s.

The medallion is inscribed Pius XI and Pont. Max.

Unfortunately I was young and didn't ask any questions about it. He gave me a small box of stuff and his uniforms, all long gone now except for his (armor) collar insignia and this cross. The cross was just in amongst the other items, and I didn't see it until we got home (he lived pretty far away).

He may have been kind to someone and it was a gift to him after the shooting stopped. I would not assume "spoils of war".

It may have been discarded. With advancing Soviet troops, it would not have been good for a German to be captured with anything religious.

May have been found in a bombed out house too. Who knows for sure.

Nice cross indeed. Nice gift and remembrance too.

W