What uniform is this guy wearing?

1stusmcdiv42

I have stumbled across a picture that has me stumped and I am hoping to get some input here.

The caption for this picture reads: WAR PAINT––Marine Sergeant Lyle Lewis puts green camouflage paint on his face before starting out on a night raiding patrol behind enemy lines in Korea.

9_zps56b55bdf.jpg

Since this photo says this is from Korea, interestingly enough he seems to be wearing what looks like a P44 cammo uniform at first glance but a closer look makes me think its an M1942 one piece coverall set or even an army HBT set (the pocket flap and plastic button make me say this is not a USMC uniform) its hard to tell.

However the uniform does not seem to actually match any of those. The camouflage P44 jacket did not have plastic buttons as seen on the sleeve in the picture, it had USMC metal dish buttons and metal snaps nor did it have an upper pocket flap. The M42 coverall set did have flaps on the pockets, but it had two snap buttons on each pocket flap AND a zipper which would be seen sewn directly to the open flap of his jacket both features that are missing from the jacket in this picture. However, the Army HBT camo jacket did have plastic buttons on the sleeves, and no buttons on the pocket flaps, however the shape of the pocket is wrong and the likely hood of a Marine using an outdated army jacket from WWII that was phased out quicker than the marines own P42 uniform, is very very very unlikely. Basically, I have no idea what uniform he is wearing.

Under the camo uniform is what appears to be the zipper to an M55 Korean War USMC flak jacket. While uncomfortable to wear, having the flak jacket under the camo uniform would make sense if your goal is to be concealed.

What do you guys think? What is he wearing?

I was thinking the same thing. It might be that the zipper is just not visible because that collar comes across the chest so much, as shown in the picture of the mannequin, and the OP's photo shows it open, and possibly folded in such a way that we aren't seeing it. I haven't taken a look at my coveralls, but my gut reaction was that that's what the picture shows. Plastic button might just be a repair.

American Graffiti

The shirt is definitely the army camo HBT, note: plastic buttons, reinforced elbows, the panel of same camo on the lapel revere, (the army shirt wasn't fully reversible) and the pocket flap shape.

The trousers appear to be marine issue, note : no knee reinforcements like on the army type, also just visible two lines of stitching on front where internal pocket bags are sewn.

This combination of camp pieces is not uncommon in Korea.

PS the zip just visible under the shirt looks like it could be on an M-A1 or similar flight jacket?

AG

The shirt is definitely the army camo HBT, note: plastic buttons, reinforced elbows, the panel of same camo on the lapel revere, (the army shirt wasn't fully reversible) and the pocket flap shape.

The trousers appear to be marine issue, note : no knee reinforcements like on the army type, also just visible two lines of stitching on front where internal pocket bags are sewn.

PS the zip just visible under the shirt looks like it could be on an M-A1 or similar flight jacket?

AG

This combination for the Marines was not uncommon? I understand the use of WWII USMC camo uniforms, but the use/ acquisition of the Army HBT jacket is really interesting.

Could you elaborate on the Marine Corps use of Camo HBT uniforms in the Korean conflict? Up until a few days ago I had not seen a picture of a Marine in a camo uniform during Korea, then I ran into several photos and it peaked my interest.

vintageproductions

AG

I does look like some kind of sage green flight jacket or flight suit.

American Graffiti

post-4617-0-28822700-1392573257.jpg

Here is a photo from the book US Marine Corps Since 1945 by Lee E Russell, showing two marines in camouflage, both are wearing the army shirt (note pocket flaps) and the marine p44 trousers (note exposed black metal crotch buttons)

The guy in the middle could actually be the same guy! He appears to have a very similar waxed moustache.

The zip in the original picture under the camo shirt could well be from a flak vest, as these guys are apparently wearing the 1951 vest under their shirts.

Same guy?

AG

Very very cool picture!!! And from what I can see, I bet that guy in the middle is the same guy! Very similar facial features along with the mustache.

My next question is what unit are these guys with, what was their task in battle and why do they have camo uniforms?

Very very cool picture!!! And from what I can see, I bet that guy in the middle is the same guy! Very similar facial features along with the mustache.

My next question is what unit are these guys with, what was their task in battle and why do they have camo uniforms?

I would bet that they were with the 1st or 2nd Amphibious Reconnaissance Company.

American Graffiti

I would've thought Recon of some sort too.

They do look pretty cool honcho's.

As for army/marine pieces, I'm sure it was just what was available or requisition whatever you can. It seems in Korea anything went, certainly wasn't same uniform codes as WWII.

AG