Colonel David Lownds USMC Navy Cross Receipent Base Commander Khe Sanh 1968

cplnorton

I've had this grouping for a while and I've been trying to research him some more. But in the mean time I thought I would post this. This is probably the most famous Marine I have ever personally had the chance to purchase. And he is probably one of the most famous Marines of the Vietnam War.

Colonel David Lownds had a very distinguished career. He served in all three wars, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He was wounded on Saipan and Iwo Jima with the 4th Marine Division. He operated behind enemy lines in the Dominican Republic Expedition where he received a bronze star with Combat V. He then commanded the Twenty-Sixth Marine Regiment at the Battle of Khe Sanh during the Tet Offensive of 1968 in Vietnam. For his actions at Khe Sanh, he was awarded the Navy Cross.

Of all places this stuff ended up on ebay and the seller didn't even list his name in the auction. So the auction was way under the radar.

But I got a set of his Khaki's with the Barracks Cover, and extra pair of trousers, and I also got his Dress Mess. There's a famous picture of the Colonel with President Johnson. And in the pic he is wearing a Khaki Uniform. I wonder if by chance it isn't the same Khaki uniform I have here? It would be neat if it was.

I'm still working on getting the ribbons restored but I just haven't got it done yet. But hopefully soon. But here are some pics. The nice thing is about every piece is named.

DSC_0036_zpsdc6caee4.jpg

DSC_0039_zps597a9df0.jpg

DSC_0044_zpsf6ad3101.jpg

DSC_0060_zps7bf01829.jpg

DSC_0049_zpsbaeebe35.jpg

DSC_0050_zps122f8fa1.jpg

DSC_0051_zps096bf55b.jpg

DSC_0052_zps4a1b5179.jpg

DSC_0056_zps985e69e5.jpg

DSC_0058_zpse0f003ee.jpg

There is lot of info on Colonel Lownds on the Internet. So far I have been able to find a lot of pictures of him. Here are some of the ones I have found.

African20American20Marines-Vietnam-A4164

b_lownds_zpsbb5c399c.jpg

77477771_131931205974_zpsf04ccc30.jpg

5_zps35d19344.jpg

3_zps0926f954.jpg

4124_zps1c8b2e01.jpg

8536446830_a3985af27d_z_zps1b6ab35c.jpg

Corbis-U1581076_zps04b51b68.jpg

Colonel Lownds Navy Cross Citation.

"The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Colonel David E. Lownds (MCSN: 0-15530), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as Commanding Officer of the Khe Sanh Combat Base in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam from August 1967 through March 1968. Upon assuming command of the vital combat base located in western Quang Tri Province and tasked with the responsibility of interdicting major North Vietnamese resupply routes and blocking any enemy invasion attempt from the west into the northern provinces of South Vietnam, Colonel Lownds immediately established combat outposts on Hills 881 South, 861, and 950, and launched extensive and highly effective patrol activities throughout his area of responsibility. Despite the hazardous, mountainous terrain, thick jungle foliage, and adverse weather conditions, Colonel Lownds' valiant combat leadership and indomitable command ability were the central instrument in achieving and maintaining the superb combat posture of the base. On 28 January 1968, when North Vietnamese divisions launched a coordinated attack on the Khe Sanh Combat Base with rockets, artillery, mortar, and machine-gun and small-arms fire, and with their main attack directed at Hill 861-A, Colonel Lownds' superb knowledge of and appreciation for the terrain and his aggressive utilization of all supporting arms minimized the effectiveness of the enemy attack and resulted in a large number of enemy casualties. During daily enemy rocket and artillery attacks, and on 23 February when the firing reached its peak with more than 1300 rounds impacting on the combat base, his superior tactical judgment, calm leadership, brave demeanor, and resolute endurance were an inspiration to all around him and were a prime factor in maintaining a high level of morale among his men. Giving no thought to his own safety, while exhibiting a compassionate concern for the welfare of his Marines, he gallantly and repeatedly exposed himself to hostile fire making daily visits to outlying units to observe tactical operations and to study conditions confronting his unit commanders. During the period 1 November 1967 to 31 March 1968, Colonel Lownds organized and directed Operation SCOTLAND, a highly effective search and destroy operation throughout the Khe Sanh tactical area of responsibility, which resulted in numerous enemy casualties, the capture of several enemy, and a large number of weapons confiscated. By his gallant leadership, distinguished personal bravery, and selfless devotion to duty throughout, Colonel Lownds upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

You know my feelings on this one! Great find I'm green on this one. . . green with envy. Super uniform. Can't wait to see the ribbons added.

Semper Fi

Forgot a couple more pics.

Colonel Lownds is the one to the far right. This is while he was 2nd Lieutenant in the 24th Marines in WWII.

shipboardclip2_zps3ba55824.jpg

d832b628-ad85-4dd8-91ec-a7e51ca0a31f_zps

DSC_0053_zps849fafa1.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Congrats look forward to the restoration! Everyone should know, he commanded the 26th Marines at the battle of Khe Sanh (77 days long, taking up to 1,000 shells on their position, from the NVA). IMO the most pivitol, controversial stand during the entire war.

• 1 year later...

Sir this is my great grandpas uniform that we had no idea where it,was and when I clicked on a photo of him it brought me to this site which you had his uniform pictures on

That is a great set of uniforms. I served with the 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE], and we were sent by General Westmorland

to assist in breaking the siege by two North Vietnamese Divisions, place a Regiment of Artillery. I still have flashbacks about some of the stuff we went through back then. I have a lot of respect for those marines who had to endure being in that hell hole!