I'm so excited I about wet myself

Mitter2k1

So on Sunday I got together with a fellow collector and got to see a bunch of great stuff. One thing I got to see was a copy of With the Colors for Montgomery County, Illinois. This is pretty exciting for me since all I have ever seen is the digital copy from the Archives. This actually let me see a photo of my great grandfather firsthand and in better resolution than the digital version. So fast forward to yesterday afternoon. I had a moment of realization that made me giddy like a schoolgirl. So I emailed my friend and he verified that a mystery photo I received for Christmas is in fact, my great grandfather Fred J. Mitts. He enlisted July 31, 1918 and was promoted to Corporal October 29, 1918. He served with the 11th Co., 161st Depot Brigade at Camp Grant. He was discharged January 4, 1919. This is beyond exciting to me since I never thought I would know what he looked like, let alone in uniform.

Mike

4uvarapu.jpg

Here is a scan from the book.

yzy9ady9.jpg

And here is the digital image from the online version of the book I was dealing with. Not much to the imagination.

asahe5a3.jpgduze8a4e.jpg

This is so great for you! I know how you feel. I found out just a few years ago my grandfather was a tanker in WWI when I discovered a photo and some notes in some things my aunt had sent. I love seeing faces to go with family and these many things we all collect.

I still have uncles who I have no idea what they looked like. The search goes on.

That is awesome! What an incredible find and priceless family treasure!

Thank you for sharing this very exciting moment, I know just how you feel.

My best to you,

Joe

Thank you guys. It is going to be replaced with a quality copy and the original stored to protect it. I may make copies for the rest of the family if they would like to have one.

Thanks again

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you finally met your great-grandfather, Mike. I'm experiencing the same euphoria researching my grandfather.

Keep digging; there's more to discover!

Thank you guys. I sent the photo off to have the bad areas touched up digitally. I had a bit of an issue with resizing and Jim Baker was gracious enough to assist with that as well. But here is the touched up photo. I had the creases in the top corners removed and a spot by his shoulder removed as well. But here is the finished product and I think it looks great.

Thanks

Mike

post-104697-0-01307400-1393701465.jpg

Good for you Mike!

I had similar experiences in discovering the history and being able to acquire items from both of my grandfathers who served in WWI.

By the way, it looks like your great-grandfather may be wearing a Marksman bar on his left breast pocket.

Good luck with finding some more jewels!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...