INFO. REQ. Re: Photograph

scottiques

I just picked up a small group of images of soldiers from Co. F, 25th Infantry Regiment.

All are wearing collar brass with "25, Crossed Rifles, F".

This particular soldier is also wearing three overseas service stripes. I know that the 25th Regiment was in Hawaii during WW1, so I would assume the soldier served in another unit during WW1 and then joined the 25th after the War.

That would make the photograph 1919- early 1920s. The studio shot is not photographere marked on the mount.

Any thoughts on the soldier and value is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

post-124583-0-49574500-1392143658.jpg

post-124583-0-53560300-1392143669.jpg

post-124583-0-13578700-1392143808.jpg

During that time frame, Hawaii was considered an overseas posting. I don't think a soldier had to be in Europe to get overseas stripes. Others opinions may vary.

Thanks for the input-- I hadn't thought of that.

I thought that they were always for wartime overseas service (as they are today).

Scott

They are War Service Chevrons for WW1, not overseas chevrons. Gold-colored for each six months service in the theater of operations, silver-colored for each six months non-theater of operations service and a single blue one could be worn for less than six months service in the theater of operations. I do not know at what point after WW1 the wear of silver and blue chevrons was rescinded.

They are War Service Chevrons for WW1, not overseas chevrons. Gold-colored for each six months service in the theater of operations, silver-colored for each six months non-theater of operations service and a single blue one could be worn for less than six months service in the theater of operations. I do not know at what point after WW1 the wear of silver and blue chevrons was rescinded.

Got me real confused-- are not "Overseas Chevrons" the same thing as what you are calling "War Service Chevrons"?

Was WSC the official name when adopted?

Thanks.

Scott

Got me real confused-- are not "Overseas Chevrons" the same thing as what you are calling "War Service Chevrons"?

Was WSC the official name when adopted?

Thanks.

Scott

I will check the contemporary Amy Special Regulations to make sure my memory is correct.

Not sure if I'm adding anything to this but there were two distinct colors for service chevrons. Gold chevrons were issued for overseas service and silver for stateside service. 6 months for each chevron. Hard to tell from the photo but these could be silver. It's a wonderful portrait and since any black memorabilia is very sought after I would put at least a hundred bucks on it if I were to sell it. If you had ID or additional info on the guy, it could be more. Just my fraction of a cent worth.

Not sure if I'm adding anything to this but there were two distinct colors for service chevrons. Gold chevrons were issued for overseas service and silver for stateside service. 6 months for each chevron. Hard to tell from the photo but these could be silver. It's a wonderful portrait and since any black memorabilia is very sought after I would put at least a hundred bucks on it if I were to sell it. If you had ID or additional info on the guy, it could be more. Just my fraction of a cent worth.

Thanks for the information trenchbuff, I appreciate it.

The condition of the photograph really sets it apart.

I purchased the image with four other 25th Infantry soldier images. Unfortunately, none are identified, but they all are in similar condition.

Scott

• 2 months later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

Here's to clearing the mud on this..........

Gold = Overseas theater service on left sleeve, gold worn on the right sleeve is for wounds.

Silver = Stateside service, which is any area that fell under a Zone of the Interior, which includes Canal Zone, Hawaii, and the PI

Blue - less than six months service in the area that fell under the AEF.

In reality, you had two separate armies, the AEF which was directly under Pershing, and everything else which fell under a zone.

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Scott,

They look pretty bright in the B/W photo. You'll never be 100% sure, but I'd bet silver, just given how bright they appear.

John