WWII THIRD ARMY VET

bobatl

My uncle, Robert Lee, was in the Third Army, then stayed in Germany with the occupation army. Except for the binoculars, this collection of "spoils of war" was stored in a shoebox. It would have been nice if he'd brought an MP40 or MP44 home but the German binoculars are a very practical and useful "spoils of war" that have given good service for many years.

post-54142-0-66374700-1392042927.jpg

That small piece with what looks like a swastika with extra arms appears to be a symbol for Lativian forces.

I wonder how many thousands of boxes like that got dumped in the trash by wives who said, "You're not keeping that junk in my house!"

501stGeronimo

That small piece with what looks like a swastika with extra arms appears to be a symbol for Lativian forces.

No, that is what appears to be a unfinished collar tab for Temp. Concentration Camp Guards. Nice SS insignia!

I wonder how many thousands of boxes like that got dumped in the trash by wives who said, "You're not keeping that junk in my house!"

When I was around 11 or 12, in the late 1950's, I left a mint double decal German helmet and a large manila envelope containing a quantity of

armbands and badges, on the sofa in the living room. My mom tossed them all out.

When I was around 11 or 12, in the late 1950's, I left a mint double decal German helmet and a large manila envelope containing a quantity of

armbands and badges, on the sofa in the living room. My mom tossed them all out.

I am guessing you were pretty upset about that.

-Dave

I am guessing you were pretty upset about that.

-Dave

I'm more upset now. A lot of the medals came from a friend's father who was at Normandy. At that time I was only 11 or 12 and there was lots of stuff around - another friend's father had shipped home boxes of items and was selling it off bit by bit. Pistols, rifles, helmets, officer caps, complete medical kits with all contents, etc. Since I was a kid he would only let me have a couple of bayonets and a sword, all of which I thoroughly abused while playing Army. My mother's rules were law, and I had left the stuff on her sofa - and I'd been warned...I was happy to not get a spanking also...

Couple years back I purchased some items from a member here that were in an old cookie tin, and they had in fact been thrown away by a widow. One of the items was a correct barrel for my 1918 production Model of 1911...which had a later production barrel, when I bought it. Just in the trash, get it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Inflated 1920's German currency was probably a popular souvenir; everyone could be a millionaire. This and other foreign currency was pasted in a photo album.

post-54142-0-44338200-1394156522.jpg