Odd CAB

swag

Here's an odd CAB I picked up a few years ago. I haven't pulled them out in a long while, but I recall that the stay-brite one was pretty much regulation size. Don't know if these are concept/trial designs, an eager manufacturer that got the drawing wrong, or what, but they're still pretty cool. They have "V-21" on the reverse. If any one has any ideas or thoughts on these let me know. Enjoy!

post-50776-0-52594900-1399745706.jpg

IF I remember correctly those were some of the first runs - Not sure if it was a concept run or for issue. Either way, it was replaced with the design that is worn currently.

Kyle

I always thought this was the inspiration for the CAB :P

Funny you say that, I've heard that the inspiration for the CIB was German Army awards. Just rumor and speculation though, I haven't seen any written proof to support that claim. Still....an interesting thought.

Kevin

Funny you say that, I've heard that the inspiration for the CIB was German Army awards. Just rumor and speculation though, I haven't seen any written proof to support that claim. Still....an interesting thought.

Kevin

The inspiration for the CIB may have been just follwing the German manner of awarding Infantry a special badge in reconition of combat service, but you may be right, the badge itself while not looking anything like the German Infantry Assault Badge per say does include a rifle, in this case a 18th Century musket, and the oak leaf wreath.

The U.S. CAB..... well The Bayonet and Hand Grenade does have the elements of the German General Assault Badge, and this symbolism was used on the CAB. The German General Assault Badge had these weapons incorporated in it because it was a badge first conceived to be awarded Assault Engineers, the Sturm Pioneere, Troops that certainly used these weapons in action.

• 1 year later...

hi i have seen a CAB Senior grade.the owner of this have become it to the second time in Irak.he was a sgt in the mp unit end of his time there.he have say it gives a mastercab to,

best regards

CNY Militaria

hi i have seen a CAB Senior grade.the owner of this have become it to the second time in Irak.he was a sgt in the mp unit end of his time there.he have say it gives a mastercab to,

best regards

There is no such thing as a senior or master CAB, or even a second award for that matter.

Pretty sure what you have here was the first run of what was initially called the Close Combat Badge. It was intended for combat-arms troops other than Infantry that directly engaged or were engaged themselves by the enemy. There was a ruckus amongst the brass about ten years ago, and the stink was that this wouldn't be available to someone like a fueler, a truck driver, or other "noncombatant" warriors. After the revised guidelines came out, they changed the badge to what we call the CAB today. Our unit came under fire at Al Hillah, Iraq on 22 Sep 2003, and it took about four years for it to get approved. I read recently that there was a push to retroactively award this even as far back as WW2. Good luck with that!!

Here's a good history of how the CAB came to be: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Badge

firefighter

Interesting.I figured they would start doing this.It's also interesting that they only retroactive it back to 18SEP01.

Interesting.I figured they would start doing this.It's also interesting that they only retroactive it back to 18SEP01.

There has been legislation in the past as well as recently to made teh CAB retroactive to 1941.

firefighter

There has been legislation in the past as well as recently to made teh CAB retroactive to 1941.

Well that will make it the must issued badge ever.The medal & badge manufacture companies must be backing the bill.

Well that will make it the must issued badge ever.The medal & badge manufacture companies must be backing the bill.

Wouldn't surprise me. Army is freaking out because if it passes all the man-hours they'll have to put into verifying it all.

firefighter

Wouldn't surprise me. Army is freaking out because if it passes all the man-hours they'll have to put into verifying it all.

I know this is a silly idea, I don't want to make this political, but hire wounded Vets to go thru applications.

Eagles of War near Ft Campbell has a case of these. He's selling them as the 1st design of the CAB that was changed. I think they're all on Vanguard cards. He has black subdued, sta-brite, and regular silver finish. As far as the CAB goes, I think the real odd ball ones in years to come will be the ones sewn on BDU's. I've seen a few on DCU's.....but very, very few sets of BDU's with the CAB sewn on. The CAB came out in 2005 and the ACU's came out in 2005-06, so it was a very short time they were authorized on the BDU/DCU.

• 3 weeks later...
airborne1968

Eagles of War near Ft Campbell has a case of these. He's selling them as the 1st design of the CAB that was changed. I think they're all on Vanguard cards. He has black subdued, sta-brite, and regular silver finish. As far as the CAB goes, I think the real odd ball ones in years to come will be the ones sewn on BDU's. I've seen a few on DCU's.....but very, very few sets of BDU's with the CAB sewn on. The CAB came out in 2005 and the ACU's came out in 2005-06, so it was a very short time they were authorized on the BDU/DCU.

Since the BDU was authorized for wear until sometime in 2008 (I want to say end of April) I wore it on my BDUs from 2007 until we could no longer wear BDUs. I also chose to wear only BDUs, until the wear out date, even after receiving ACUs.During that time I only wore ACUs during deployments.

• 3 years later...