Tropical Rucksack

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

This is a set of pics for both the canvas and nylon versions of the LW Tropical Ruck.

The canvas version has no markings of any type.

post-5-1211211995.jpg

post-5-1211212025.jpg

post-5-1211212033.jpg

Greg Robinson
This is a set of pics for both the canvas and nylon versions of the LW Tropical Ruck.

The canvas version has no markings of any type.

Been thirty years since I saw the mint canvas tropical rucksack for sale at Old Sarge in Atlanta but I swear it had markings. However, there was another canvas rucksack, similar to the tropical ruck but smaller, called the "ARVN" pack and it was unmarked. Could that be what you're showing in these pics?

Greg

Hi Craig,

I used to think that the canvas version was ARVN only and hence dubbed ARVN ruck by many Vietnam collectors.

Andrei

craig_pickrall

I will try to answer both of the comments and add a bit of additional info as well.

The canvas pack shown has two external pockets. It is the same size as the nylon version pack shown but that pack has three external pockets. The frames are interchangable. I agree the canvas version is commonly called the ARVN ruck. I am unaware of a similar designed pack that is smaller. I have seen pics of the canvas version with markings but have never seen one for sell.

The kicker is that I have seen in a military manual reference to both the canvas and the nylon pack being made in both 2 and 3 external pocket models. I have never seen a canvas version with 3 pockets or a nylon version with 2 pockets. If I ever find the info in the manual again I will post a copy here.

craig_pickrall

Yes.

I have been checking manuals and Stanton's VN book and have more info.

According to Stanton the canvas version was designed by the US military but was of materials such that it could be made in VN. The original bag had 2 external pockets and was on a rattan (wicker) frame. The steel frame came next and then it was changed to spring steel. Nothing about markings were mentioned. It was sized for the VN troops and was supposed to have enough space for the average mission run by ARVN's.

This same design was used for the nylon version with a few changes. The same steel frame was used but the bag was made 4 inches bigger (I assume in width) which allowed the 3rd external pocket. These were tested and approved starting in 1965 and started reaching the field in 1968. A little over 200,000 were ordered.

TM 10-276 is the Army manual that covers the LW TROP RUCK. This is also the manual that covers the introduction of most of the nylon gear. I have this complete manual photographed but have edited only a few of the pics. There are a couple of hundred pics to be done. That manual states at the introduction of the LW Ruck that the nylon version is preferred over the canvas version because it carries more, dries quicker and is lighter than the previous canvas version. From reading that it seems some of the canvas versions at least were used by US troops.

Greg Robinson
. I agree the canvas version is commonly called the ARVN ruck. I am unaware of a similar designed pack that is smaller. I have seen pics of the canvas version with markings but have never seen one for sell.

The "ARVN" rucksack I bought new about 30 years ago was totally unmarked but for a "US" on the buckles. Can't remember how many external pockets it had....think it was two....but clearly recall it was smaller than the US tropical rucksack made of canvas I saw for sale around the same time. Just a couple years ago somebody discoved a cache of those ARVN packs somewhere and they were selling cheap.

New Romantic

Any ideas of what the velcro strips on the undersides of the shoulder straps on the ARVN rucksack are for? I was reading in Stanton's Vietnam book that an indigenous load bearing system was developed for the ARVN. Maybe the velcro is related to that?

post-599-1211312190.jpg

craig_pickrall

You usually see velcro applied like that when the user is attempting to keep it in place. I guess it is possible the matting piece of velcro could be applied to the shirt or jacket but I have never seen that done, what I have seen is always the single piece.

the nylon version is much more sophisticated....they'v got a strong resemblance but i cannot say is the same ruck..the ARVN version favoured by the marines around 1968-69 but i have'nt seen army troops with those...it is definitely an ARVN piece of equipment...look at the WWII M43 e-tool tab on the flap

New Romantic
the nylon version is much more sophisticated....they'v got a strong resemblance but i cannot say is the same ruck..the ARVN version favoured by the marines around 1968-69 but i have'nt seen army troops with those...it is definitely an ARVN piece of equipment...look at the WWII M43 e-tool tab on the flap

Somewhere in one of my books I have a good shot of an Army soldier, I think artilleryman, wearing the ARVN rucksack. I'm looking for the photo and I'll post it as soon as I can locate it. An M1956 intrenching tool carrier can also be attached to that flap as the flap creates two loops for the slide clips.

Craig, the rucksack on http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=120 also has the velcro strips so maybe it's a common modification?

craig_pickrall

Is it possible that the pics of Marines you have seen might be wearing this pack?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry140722

Is it possible that the pics of Marines you have seen might be wearing this pack?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry140722

no craig...theyv been using normal web ARVN models...the marines were looting equipments from here & there bc theire webbing was poor...you can see marines with lithweight rucks ARVN rucks M41 own marine packs packboards and anything you can imagine...even captured NVM rucks...i have'nt seen that ruck in nam pictures...was that operational?or remained experimental?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, this is my first post here.

Based on my understanding and research, the canvas 2-pocket ruck was officially, exclusively designed for and issued to the indigenous troops of the ARVN hence the absence of any US nomenclatures or markings except for the US stamped on the metal parts. These rucks were never issued to the US Army/USMC and saw limited use by US forces in Nam.For the most part it was adopted by the Marine Force Recons in country. This was one of 2 indig type rucks adopted by US regulars troops but mostly LRRPS, recons and special forces.

On the other hand, the Tropical Rucksack and the Lightweight Rucksack which were both in nylon were the only official US Army regulation rucks during the war AFAIK.

I just saw the canvas version in an antique store last thursday. Can't remember what the price was but I think $25. I passed on it cause I don't collect anything post WWII but now I know what it is. If its still there I might pick it up for trading material.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gasman38s

I dont know if anybody will see this posting but the canvas pack is the arvn rucksack. they were made for the arvn troops during the vietnam war.they are smaller than the tropical rucksack the the u.s. troops used because the arvn troops were shorter.i did read somewere that some marines did try to get ahold of them and use them because they were better than the marine pack.the frames are not interchangable as the arvn ruck is smaller.as far as price goes i paid $100.00 for my arvn and it is in mint unissued condition.thats a good price.the tropical rucksack was never made in canvas and didnt see much use until around 1968-69.the only canvas version that would be similar to the tropical ruck is known as the mountain troops rucksack,which came out in the 1940s but was still produced in the early 1960s.i have seen a picture of a soldier using it in 1966.mines dated 1963.you dont see many of these.and it has full u.s. markingsand the three outside pockets. also the tropical ruck was supposed to come with 4 water proof bags and if you read the back of one it mentions this.hope this sheds a little more light on the packs. i own all five styles of packs used in the vietnam war one being the marine corp. pack.i have been collecting militaria u.s. only for the last 33yrs gave up on ww2 getting to expensive but have been going strong on vietnam.a good website for nam gear which also has the diffrent packs is www.vietnamgear.com.see ya

I dont know if anybody will see this posting but the canvas pack is the arvn rucksack. they were made for the arvn troops during the vietnam war.they are smaller than the tropical rucksack the the u.s. troops used because the arvn troops were shorter.i did read somewere that some marines did try to get ahold of them and use them because they were better than the marine pack.the frames are not interchangable as the arvn ruck is smaller.as far as price goes i paid $100.00 for my arvn and it is in mint unissued condition.thats a good price.the tropical rucksack was never made in canvas and didnt see much use until around 1968-69.the only canvas version that would be similar to the tropical ruck is known as the mountain troops rucksack,which came out in the 1940s but was still produced in the early 1960s.i have seen a picture of a soldier using it in 1966.mines dated 1963.you dont see many of these.and it has full u.s. markingsand the three outside pockets. also the tropical ruck was supposed to come with 4 water proof bags and if you read the back of one it mentions this.hope this sheds a little more light on the packs. i own all five styles of packs used in the vietnam war one being the marine corp. pack.i have been collecting militaria u.s. only for the last 33yrs gave up on ww2 getting to expensive but have been going strong on vietnam.a good website for nam gear which also has the diffrent packs is www.vietnamgear.com.see ya

you are right there. The ARVN , Tropical & Lightweight rucksacks are three different rucks so its not correct to say that the former is a" cotton version" of the latter two. Other 3 pocket cotton rucks used in Nam were the Mountain ruck used in the advisor years (pre-65), CIDG/CISO ruck used by CIDG, SOG,LRRPS, and the VC ruck used by VC/NVA forces.

Thought I'd add a few pictures of my Lightweight Tropical Ruscksack. Mine has been sprayprainted with black splotches on the front and back. Picked this up from a dealer out of Ft. Campbell, KY for $50 a few years ago. He wouldn't budge an inch on the price.

arvn_001.jpg

arvn_002.jpg

This pack has three pockets on the front. Can't find any markings on the pack anywhere, but it has been used quite heavily and I guess the markings may have rubbed off.

arvn_003.jpg

arvn_004.jpg

This pack has three pockets on the front. Can't find any markings on the pack anywhere, but it has been used quite heavily and I guess the markings may have rubbed off.

My cotton rucksack is virtually mint and has a small tag attached which says "RUCKSACK, ARVN" and "8465-782-3133" which I guess is the stock number.

Retired