WWI US 1917 .45 Revolver Question

Mr.Jerry

Hi Guys,

I had a pair of Colt & S&W .45 revolvers come in my shop yesterday, each with the holsters. both in what I would say are 80%+ condition. I made him an offer which I thought was fair, but he was kind of put off by it. Now part of the problem may be that they were his fathers in WW1. But I wanted to be sure I wasn't just out of the ballpark. I told I would research further and get back to him.

I know it's hard to say with out seeing them, but what is the general price range these things go for?

one holster was the typical revolver style then other was the more .45 auto style that fits a revolver.

Thanks!

Jerry

I've seen several decent shooters end around $500-800 in the past year or two. A beautiful 99%+ one just sold for $2000 not too long ago. I've been thinking about buying one, but have decided to save for a 1911.

With what year it is, the nicer stuff may well keep ramping up; who knows.

Side question, why did his father have two of them?

First, even at 80% condition, the question is originality. The grips were most often changed, and the M1917 revolvers underwent arsenal recondition as often as the M1911, particularly if they were used in WWII.

Assuming that all parts are original, and that the finish is original, and the bores are good (no pitting, well defined lands and grooves), $600-$700 retail for each pistol would be in the ball park. The holsters should be evaluated separately; if US Army and appropriate to the vintage, the butt forward (when worn on the right side) holsters from 1917 that have not been modified would go $75-$100 depending on condition. If US Army, original condition, and dated/marked properly the second holster would be somewhere between $60-75 depending upon overall condition.

These are the values (not prices) I would expect to see in my region (Southeast), value may be more or less in your region (northern midwest).

Thanks guys, you have confirmed what my instincts were telling me.

I think in his research he may have seen the minty-minty example that sold for $2000. They were definitely decent, and had "the look" just the way you like to find them. I had figured a retail value of $800 each with holster. Our offer was pretty substantial, We always try to be fair with people and not low ball them, so when he was out off by it, I was kind of shocked, but as firearms are not my main focus, i wanted to be sure I was not out of line.

His father was an officer in WW1, but he was not sure why he had 2 of them, I did ask, as that was a bit unusual. The details of his dads service he had were sketchy, (but he was pretty old himself) but he did mention he thought his dad was in the 2nd Army and never left the states.

I agree with Thorin.

just purchased one to upgrade a 17 Smith and it wasnt $600 even.Saw several at the show but they didnt sell either(expectatons of gold prices). I plan on selling the one I have owned for years as it was very pitted from being stored in a wet holster but was a solid old revolver.I hope to get $375-$400 out of the cast off one.The one I bought wasnt even close to prices I see quaoted.

Why is it when these sellers see a price in the book(The Blue Book) or on gunbroker they always pick the highest price regardless of condition(or completed sales) or they use the "internet" to price the gun or other items only to bring them in and ask "whats it worth"? or "what will you pay"? Then act insulted when you wont give them a price over/above the internet or book price.In many cases these people dont even really know exactly what they have.They have one that "looked" the same or mine is "like" that one.Really??what is it then??

I dont mind paying retail for something thats for my collection and if its nice and Im going to keep it.Im not in the business of buying and reselling and those that do have to work on a margin and its a thin one on many days.They have overhead etc.I know some will pay up to 65-70 percent of the retail but thats still a hard thing to do if you are reselling it.They still need to pay the bills yet have wiggle room as well and somethings sit for months or years beofre they sell.One other thing I have seen a trend in latley is the attitude at shows of these walk in sellers.They have all got what I term Pawn Star Syndrome(PSS).They come up to your table put their greasy sausage grappers all over your stuff and then begin to tell the seller what they will give you for your item.Or you get the I can buy it on ebay cheaper(well BUckwheat buy it there and why are you at the show).

To much reality TV I guess.I am at the point I just tell them to P-S-S Off.

I attend shows and get a table primarily to get in on set up days to be able to buy for the collection.What little I sell is to off set the weekend expenses(fuel,food,motel,etc) Gets to be less and less to buy or find.Seems all the better stuff has been bought before the show or it went on line to an auction.The sales are not the best either. Can really see Mr.Jerry having a hard time with a retail store.

Thanks guys, you have confirmed what my instincts were telling me.

I think in his research he may have seen the minty-minty example that sold for $2000. They were definitely decent, and had "the look" just the way you like to find them. I had figured a retail value of $800 each with holster. Our offer was pretty substantial, We always try to be fair with people and not low ball them, so when he was out off by it, I was kind of shocked, but as firearms are not my main focus, i wanted to be sure I was not out of line.

His father was an officer in WW1, but he was not sure why he had 2 of them, I did ask, as that was a bit unusual. The details of his dads service he had were sketchy, (but he was pretty old himself) but he did mention he thought his dad was in the 2nd Army and never left the states.

Jerry

Dont sweat it.Just like 03 Springfileds they made millions of the 17s.More are out there.From what I see at the local gunshows I see more sellers than buyers.Getting to the point the market is out pricing the buyers.Wth the way things are goind as the vets are passing as well as older collectors there doent seem to be a shortage of any of the stuff.I was just speaking with a guy today who was complaining about not seeing stuff.He buys a lot over the proxybid auctions etc.I told him the same thing.There is no shortage as I see more on or at auction than I ever have as the internet makes it a viewable market.I told him 15 years ago it was not as common to see it atr auction now there are sveral auctions a month with military for sale

$700 to $800 retail for each would be my best guess. I sold a mint, and I mean mint one on Gunbroker last year for $1600 I started it at $800 with no reserve. I thought I made out like a bandit on it honestly. I had paid $800 for it and didn't have it very long.

Thanks guys!!

It's good to have some validation. I think I will hold my ground on this one, and if we get them fine, if not thats ok too.

I like the "PSS" thats pretty funny!

Athough in some ways the Pawn guys have helped us a bit, as now people know "we have to have some meat left on the bone" to stay in business.

Although recently we just had a guy try and "bundle" after we gave him our best price, I told him that wasn't bundling, that was "double dipping"

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very logical reason that his father had two 1917 revolvers, he must have liked that model, it was probably what he was issued, but I would strongly doubt that either of these were issued to him, but bought after the war, probably in the 50s.