508th paratrooper and tent issue question

ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage

Would a 508th paratrooper who enlisted in late 1942, received his wings early in 1943, arrived in Northern Ireland in January 1944, jumped on D-Day and fought during the Battle of the Bulge ever be issued a 1944 dated tent with POM markings?

Would the 508th receive new gear (hence the 44 date) before the D-Day jump, or would the trooper in question have received this tent in the period between D-Day, the Bulge, return to the States?

The POM code listed on the Build-Up Priority Table for the 508th PIR is 44868, not 42577. The nearest I could find to the latter is 42575, which is for Battery B, 227th Field Artillery Battalion, 29th Infantry Division. Of course, the numbers weren't necessarily sequential, but there should not be such a large difference between the two.

I assume that you're referring to a Shelter Tent?

Regards,

Ben.

ThompsonSavage

This shelter half was offered on a local Belgian auction website. It bears the markings of Thomas W Porcella, author of 'Jump into darkness'.

I followed the auction until it hit $40, then it went offline... I did not bid, fearing the markings being fake.

post-45626-0-79562400-1392474714.jpg