current issue Navy SEALS red trident shoulder patch

Bob Hudson

The other day I had the very strange experience of being surrounded by Navy SEALS on a training exercise (see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/201037-ran-into-a-seals-training-exercise/ to learn what that was all about).

They were wearing the Navy's seldom seen Type II desert camo working uniform. They'd just finished a parachute jump and most quickly removed the shirts and were walking around in t-shirts, but I noticed one still wearing the camo shirt and on the left shoulder was a patch with a red trident pointing up. It was as big as a typical Army SSI and it seemed to have just the trident on it. It had the look of something designed to provide a clear sign that he was a SEAL.

I could see where it might be handy in a joint forces situation.

Anyone know anything about these?

On several websites they are selling a patch that is touted as SEAL related. Comes in a variety of shapes and colors with a stylized crucifix. Maybe that is what they were wearing?

post-1949-0-09169100-1392446890.jpg

post-1949-0-47555100-1392446902.jpg

On several websites they are selling a patch that is touted as SEAL related. Comes in a variety of shapes and colors with a stylized crucifix. Maybe that is what they were wearing?

No it was a trident

• 2 weeks later...