WWII AAF SURVIVAL blanket sheet & poncho water proof cover?

oldabewla

I found these two Items inside a WWII survival AAF sleeping bag I picket last summer for $20 It looks to be a light weight blanket and a poncho/ shelter type cover that I've never seen before?

Craig

post-7997-0-20457100-1391921118.jpg

What you have are not "survival" items but rather just the AAF version of arctic gear. These would have been part of the assembly for the type A-3 & A-3A Arctic sleeping bags. The assembly comprises of three pieces, a down filled sleeping bag, inner cotton sheet which ties in and a waterproof tarp that can be used as a shelter or ground cloth etc.. There is also an inflatable full length sleeping pad so I suppose you could say a 4 piece assembly.

These were intended to be issued to personnel stationed in arctic regions, Alaska and Greenland, as standard equipment. they were also carried aboard during ferrying flights and could be used in a emergency/survival situation but not their intended purpose.

This photo is showing the use of an A-2 sleeping pad and note the down sleeping bags.

post-56-0-71130800-1391973864.jpg

Hi Dustin,

as for the A-2 sleeping bag and pad, is A-2 tent part of this assembly like A-3 bag + pad + shelter?

Mirek

Contrary to popular belief the bulk of development within the AAF Material Command in the late 1930's and early 1940's was towards arctic equipment. As part of the development and by demand of the Alaskan Command the Type A-2 series tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad were developed for use in bivouac and carried aboard aircraft. Not technically an "assembly" but developed at the same time to suit multiple purposes.

• 5 years later...
phantomfixer

The A-2 sleeping bag has been on my wish list for some time....one popped up on ebay, and was able to strike a deal...this this is a beast, weighs a ton and love it...

question about the bag...there is a pocket of sorts at the bottom of the wool liner...it is snapped into place to form a pocket....is it for clothes,food or feet???

post-155518-0-37515400-1559737633.jpg

post-155518-0-89962500-1559737685.jpg