Wooden Propeller

ww2vault

Hi,

Some one local to me offered to sell this wooden propeller to me. They don't know where it came from or much on the background history of it. I know the picture is bad but they are sending some close-ups. They said the props length was 70" long. I asked them to look for any markings on it.

- Jeff

post-1090-1211194312.jpg

Hi,

Some one local to me offered to sell this wooden propeller to me. They don't know where it came from or much on the background history of it. I know the picture is bad but they are sending some close-ups. They said the props length was 70" long. I asked them to look for any markings on it.

- Jeff

70" is the correct size prop for a J-3 Cub and similar two seat light planes. It could be military if from a WWII L-bird (L-2, L-3, or L-4 only) but I don't know how you would prove it. Other L-birds used larger props and other military craft used metal propellers.

Tom thumbsup.gif

Piper and Seninch? were cranking wood props out by the thousands for the war effort as well as other manufacturers for all the BTs and the PTs. They were busting them up almost as fast as they were making them. Wooden propellers did not have a long life span anyway, but were very forgiving on the engines. Dave