English Shell Guard Hanger

Recently picked this up. It's a circa 1750 English Shell Guard Infantry hanger. Of the type used by both American and British units from the French and Indian war as well as the American Revolution. Had it looked at by Chris Fox who is the curator of collections at Fort Ticonderoga. The hanger is also marked with GR showing military use. If used by an American, it would have first seen service in the British Army under King George II.

post-9906-0-83833700-1401855298.jpg post-9906-0-05440600-1401855331.jpg post-9906-0-35937400-1401855352.jpg post-9906-0-12315100-1401855364.jpg

That's wonderful hanger!

Whenever I see a piece like that the words "If only this could talk" come immediately to mind.

Thanks for posting it!!

Thanks lads.

I was excited to find this sword, and even more excited to have authenticated by Chris Fox at Fort Ticonderoga.

Yeah, I don't have a scabbard to go with it. The scabbards would have been leather and most have not survived. I wanted to find a sword that would hold the possibility of service in both the American Revolution and the French and Indian War as well.

I'm an experienced reenactor of the French & Indian War and American Revolution. I have only recently started a modest collection of more recent militaria. Found this forum and have been very pleased with it so far. Learned a lot that I can use in my teaching (I'm a high school teacher and military historian)

Anyway, my avitar picture was taken wearing a 5th NY Regimental uniform holding our regimental flag at Redoubt 7, Constitution Island, Fortress West Point. Redoubt 7 sits atop a cliff overlooking the Hudson River here in New York. It was part of a series of forts and redoubts that made up West Point during the American Revolution. It is extremely well preserved site because it is on United States Military Academy property and is colsed to the public and not easily accessable. I thought it was a neat picture, thanks for asking.

Some links for those interested regarding redoubt 7. First is a great report on West Point in PDF.

http://www.usma.edu/gene/siteassets/sitepages/publications/the%20military%20geography%20of%20fortress%20west%20point%202001.pdf

http://www.unc.edu/~chaos1/redoubt7.html

Although wikipedia.....great picture of the cliff I'm standing on in the picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Revolutionary_War_Ruins,_Constitution_Island,_West_Point,_NY.JPG

• 8 months later...
belizechopper

I have some of this type and they are simple yet elegant. Unfortunately I know little about them except time frame and used by colonial and British troops.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...