WWII Ethocel plastic spoons

Fixbayonets!

These spoons are made of Ethocel plastic, the same material used to make the well know plastic canteens during WWII. There was a thread started by another forum member about a year ago asking for information regarding these spoons but there does not appear to be much information known. I thought I would start a new thread with some detailed photos, maybe more information will surface. The spoons I have look to be all made by the same manufacturer & I figure only one manufacturer made them. They are only marked U.S. on the handle, no company name or date. I believe it would be safe to say they were experimental but I am not sure if they were ever issued as the Ethocel canteens were. I am also going to assume that not many of these spoons were manufactured as very few examples seem to exist. There is also the question if Ethocel forks & knives were ever manufactured. My guess would be no as I think the tines of the fork and the blade of the knife would be to weak to withstand pressure. If anyone has any additional information or opinions regarding these spoons I would love to hear it.

Rob

post-168-0-19670300-1391792094.jpg

Very cool Rob! I had now idea there was even such a thing as Ethocel spoons. Have you ever put one in hot water? Do they give a pecular smell similar to Bakelite when dipped in hot water?

Very cool Rob! I had now idea there was even such a thing as Ethocel spoons. Have you ever put one in hot water? Do they give a pecular smell similar to Bakelite when dipped in hot water?

I just gave it a try and yes it does.

Rob

Nice spoons Rob. Not something I had come across before. Very interesting and a great unusual find.

Rich

Thanks Rich & I agree, I think most collectors do not even know they exist.

Rob

Those are amazing! I assuming they are Very rare because I have never even seen one before and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?

-Dave

Those are amazing! I assuming they are Very rare because I have never even seen one before and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?

-Dave

I pretty much got lucky with these so they were very affordable.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Very interesting. Never knew of their existence...till now. I don't think they would have been very robust under field conditions given the plastics technology of the time, unlike the plastic spoons found in ration packs from the VN era on., which are both tough and, if need be, re-cyclable.

Fixbayonets!

Very interesting. Never knew of their existence...till now. I don't think they would have been very robust under field conditions given the plastics technology of the time, unlike the plastic spoons found in ration packs from the VN era on., which are both tough and, if need be, re-cyclable.

With enough pressure I can see that the handle would snap where it meets the bowl of the spoon. I am sure that this is the reason these spoons did not get very far.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
jbassmaster18

I have one as well. I bought mine last year. In fact I may have been the one the OP said started a thread looking for info. They are unique!!

Fixbayonets!

I have one as well. I bought mine last year. In fact I may have been the one the OP said started a thread looking for info. They are unique!!

Yes, your thread was the one I was referring to. In fact, I did not know about them until I read your post about a year ago. When I found these spoons I knew what they were thanks to you.

Rob

armysoldierant1944

Probably not a fixedbayonets said as they would likely not withstand enough pressure.....However, there was a version of the knife that had a Bakelite plastic handle made by LF&C in 1941.