A small piece of the Boxer Rebellion

Dirk

In August 1900 Allied armies of Europe, Japan, and America managed to relive their besieged countrymen in Peking. Although many of us are familiar with the ending of "55 Days at Peking" where the bands of the Allied nations, playing their national anthems march through the city, the reality was the capture of the city and the flight of the Imperial Government meant a brief period of lawless. Given the reports of their citizens and diplomats massacred by the Boxers and a hard fought campaign to free the Survivors in the Legations, order broke down within almost all of the Allied armies. For several days the Armies of the great powers, and eagerly helped by a number of Pekings's own citizens, looted the city of many valuables. Sometimes the looting was organized like the Russians and Japanese going after Chinas gold reserves or small scale like the wife of the American Minister picking up rare furs from victorious soldiers at greatly reduced prices. The looting was rampant. To their credit, rather quickly, the Americans moved to halt looting by its forces, but that didn't mean some items did not make it back to the states. This little silver spoon was found in an envelop stating "captured at Pekin". Have no idea if the story is true or not or who even might have taken it...my guess is someone in the US Army given the envelop. Regardless an interesting piece of history....possibly linked to a famous event, from a period when spoils of war really meant spoils....

image.jpg

Neat piece from this obscure however important world event. Surprisingly little has survived to the present day from the boxer rebellion. Judging from the number of period Chinese weapons that surface here in the States, much like wars up to today, implements of war will always be a favorite souvenir. I have seen a few rifles that made it back that were captured by Americans with associated inscriptions. Its interesting that Chinese silver would also be a favorite souvenir for later legation troops. Now with the growth in Chinese economic power, these pieces have been fetching record prices at auction, with most of them returning to that country.

I am wondering if this is an opium spoon which would be appropriate in that opium and silver was the center of the vortex that brought British and Russian Merchants to China after the end of the 2nd Opium War (1860). The infusion of European influence into China would bring attention by the U.S., especially after their recent territorial acquisitions (namely the Philippines). This along with a weak domestic economic, and the growth in demand of U.S. made textiles in Asia would bring the U.S. seeking increased trade with China (emerging markets, of todays relevancy). Hence a historical little item.

Thanks for showing.

Your right very little seems to have survived in the way of bring backs...a number of years ago someone was offering a weapon (a spear like object) and a photo album that showed just enough pictures to tell me it was truly a Boxer album. And you guessed it it went off to China. Much of the high quality items have gone back there over the past five years. Of course as original owners passed and families put their items on the market the Boxer links were probably not known....I am sure there must be a number of little items like this out there without the linkage being made to the Boxers. I also remember going on a museum tour in the states and being shown a larger very high quality object with Imperial connections that the guide said was acquired in Peking in 1900.....given her response to my follow up questions...I think it was most likely a "bring back" probably by a senior individual vice a enlisted guy who just happened to grab it.

I am not sure the purpose of this spoon....I thought a possible opium connection too, but a quick online search showed those to look different from the one shown here. Regardless it's purpose, a item possibly linked a a historical event makes for an interesting discussion given the envelop it was found in. And it is believable that a soldier would have grabed something small like this and have been able to keep it even after Gen Chafee's command was making the troops in his army turn over their loot. I remember reading somewhere they collected piles of objects of all kinds to return to Chinese authorities....of course given the poor state of the Imperial government of the time it is doubtful any of these things ever were returned to the real owners. It certainly did not stop a number of diplomats from enjoying, trading or returning home with much more valuable objects for their homes.

I think I will have to see Monument Men this weekend...but will keep in mind victorious troops from that war also brought back many items beyond military trophies.

Very neat item Dirk. Boxer related pieces of any kind are rare. Thank you for posting .I have an Italian silk scroll from the Boxer rebellion that I will post when I photograph it.

Dick