1/35 U.S. Rangers Normandy 1944 by Dragon

Proud Kraut

After the paint has dried, I continue with step # 2: oil colors. I temper Raw Umber with Burnt Sienna (mixing ratio 2 : 1) and a drop of terpentine. The result should be a thick color mix. I paint the skin parts of the figures completely with that mix. After a few seconds I wipe off the oil color with a clean soft cotton cloth (faces: bottom-up). The color will remain in the deeper areas of the surface. No need to hurry this. The advantage of oil colors is that they dry very slowly.

F1.jpg

This is awesome Lars! I am working on a batch of figures right now and your tutorial on face painting is just what I needed to see. Really liking this technique, please continue. Bob

Thank you very much for your kind words, Bob! No big thing at all.

As I have said before. Oil colors need some time to dry completely. Wait at least 24 hours before going on. In step No. 3 I return to ACRYLIC color Vallejo 70927. Now it's time to highlight the skin parts. I dip a soft paint brush into the color and wipe off the color completely. With the nearly dry paint brush I'm "painting" hands and faces of the figures.

Brush.jpg

Now it's time to add some details. I'm using brown or black for hair, eyebrows and eyes. Black dots for the eyes are more than enough. Our figures are out in the open and eyes are nearly shut in the sunlight.

Fig12.jpg

Spending the last days on ships and landing crafts I think these guys had better things to do than to shave. To achieve an unshaved look I brush the lower parts of the face with dry grey pigments.

Drybr.jpg

At the latest when the primer has dried completely, it's time to stop groping (term?) the figures. Depicted are two possible ways of preparing the figures for further painting. I glue them on bottle tops or drill small holes to attach toothpicks.

:) Instead of 'groping' you may consider using the term 'handling'

Lars, I assume you are using all acrylics over the oil paints. Was there an application of any type of sealer applied over the oil paint wash? Thanks

Thank you all for your very kind feedback; I really appreciate it!

:) Instead of 'groping' you may consider using the term 'handling'

@Chris: Ooops, yes of course handling, that's much better. Thanks a lot!

@Bob: I usually don't seal the single steps of painting. After finishing the figures I airbrush/spray them with matte varnish completely.

Lars

This is a great SBS you've posted Lars. :) Never occurred to me to use pigments for simulating 5 o'clock shadow!

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Returning back to modeling after more than 25 years, I think working with pigments is one of the most important "inventions" in this field. Will come back to this point later again.

Lars

Hi Lars,

Waiting to see the finished diarama you are making your details are great and it will be a good model at the end, I actually have digging rights in the field that was the U.S, army camp for the 2nd Rangers in w.w.2, and they would practice the cliff climbing on the north cliffs near where i live. This was preporation for the D Day landing in Normandy at Pont -Du-Hoc, i also have right for this summer in another U.S infanty camp so looking forward to that one also. Keep up the good work on the diarama love to see it.

Dave.

Hi Lars,

Waiting to see the finished diarama you are making your details are great and it will be a good model at the end, I actually have digging rights in the field that was the U.S, army camp for the 2nd Rangers in w.w.2, and they would practice the cliff climbing on the north cliffs near where i live. This was preporation for the D Day landing in Normandy at Pont -Du-Hoc, i also have right for this summer in another U.S infanty camp so looking forward to that one also. Keep up the good work on the diarama love to see it.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

thanks for your kind words! Actually I will not build a dio with these Rangers since I build/paint them for a friend. Maybe he will permit to post the completed dio after finishing it.

Your post give me the idea for a new dio: Normandy today; some people are digging for remains on the beach....;-)

BTW, can anybody provide any infos on the OD vests the Rangers are wearing. I did a quick reseach within our forum but obviously didn't hit the right section. Are these kind of life jackets or just gear to carry equipment?

I see! Thank you very much Johan for posting these. Always great when the "real life collectors" enhance the modeling section! So no life jackets at all.

Nothing really new from my side these days. Some reconstruction work in the house will keep me busy the next two weeks or so. Since that modeling has to wait a bit. All I did was to paint the first layer on the khaki/tan uniform parts.

Kha1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the reconstruction work last week, now it's time to go on with this thread (although Fashing seems to rule everything over here these days). I was asked which colors would be the best ones for painting U.S. uniforms. Hundreds of tutorials regarding this do exit in the www. I like this one here very much, I think it's a good summary:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/?tabid=110&art_id=444

My favorite acrylic paints are the Vallejo ones:

VC.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9246-assault-jacket-invasion-vest-on-d-day/?hl=%2Bassault+%2Bjackets#entry55951
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/903-d-day-assault-vests/?hl=%2Bassault+%2Bjackets#entry3662

Here are a couple of forum threads with good info/photos of the assault vests (also referred to as assault jackets). Looking forward to seeing more pics of your progress.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/194734-wwii-life-belt-invasion/?hl=%2Blife+%2Bbelt

You mentioned "life jackets". The assault vests were made of duck material to carry gear. On D-Day U.S. troops did wear emergency flotation belts (see link) 2 of the Ranger figures are sculpted with their life belts over their assault vests, but two are depicted with web ammo belts over the assault vests.

post-2064-0-58356300-1393607791.jpg