SSBN Deterrent Patrol Insignia

Perhaps not as sexy as a WW2 Combat Patrol pin, still I figure they have some collecting interest out there.

Any examples to share?

From Wikipeda:

The SSBN Deterrent Patrol insignia is a uniform breast pin worn by officers and enlisted sailors of the United States Navy's submarine service who have completed strategic deterrent patrols in nuclear ballistic missile submarines. It is the successor to the Submarine Combat Patrol Insignia awarded for submarine patrols during World War II.

Design of the SSBN pin shows a silver Lafayette-class submarine with superimposed Polaris missile and electron rings which signify the armament and nuclear-powered characteristics of the Fleet Ballistic Missile Deterrent Force. A scroll beneath the submarine holds up to six service stars, with one bronze star authorized for each successful patrol (after the first, the pin being number one) or a silver star for five successful patrols. At twenty (20) successful patrols, the SSBN pin is upgraded to a gold design.

After the insignia was approved, awards were made retroactive to the first strategic deterrent patrol of USS George Washington (SSBN-598) which was completed on 21 January 1961. The strategic deterrent patrols of the Regulus missile boats were not initially deemed worthy of this insignia, but this decision was reversed in 2004.

The SSBN pin is worn on the left uniform pocket, typically below award ribbons. The badge is considered a "secondary insignia", meaning that the badge is worn secondary to a primary warfare pin, such as the Submarine Warfare insignia. Personnel eligible to wear other secondary submarine insignias, such as the Submarine Combat Patrol Insignia or the Deep Submergence Insignia, may only wear one such insignia at a time according to their personal desire. The badge doesn't need to be worn if the command doesn't require it.

I have a few, not sure exactly on dating the manufacturing here but I would say ranging from late 1950's to mdoern era.

Here's an earlier H-H example in sterling:

post-50776-0-29571100-1391642942.jpg

It could be an earlier "transition" badge, as the 3-digit codes were often just "H24", not really sure here.

The hallmarks; note the H-H eagle still being used in addition to the code.

post-50776-0-91863700-1391643413.jpg

I have one more H-H sterling with patrol stars for 10 patrols, but I need to clean the badge as it appears to have sat in something that has discolored and possibly started to deteriorate the finish. I hate cleaning items like this but it looks awful at this point, almost like dried on yellow hydraulic oil.

Am I correct that the badge was not instituted until 1969 and then made retroactive back to 1961? If so, that pushes my manufacturing guesses out later.

Two named SSBN Deterrent Patrol Insignias

This small size one came from Capt Charles Summitt CO of USS Alexander Hamilton Blue Crew from january 1965 to june 1967.

post-1289-0-04371700-1391811419.jpg

This one from Capt Ralph Enos (father of MK48 torpedo) Navigator of USS Sam Houston Gold Crew

post-1289-0-89204800-1391811540.jpg

His uniform and photo

post-1289-0-97587700-1391811562.jpg

post-1289-0-46237500-1391811641.jpg

Both of 'em received the badge in early 70s (Dan Summitt retired in 1974 and Ralph Enos in 1977)

Best, Croc

Hi Croc,

I had responded back on the 7th and do not see my comments now?? Maybe I didn't actually post it??

Anyway, nice additions with the All Hands excerpts. I like to use them for referencing medals and changes to uniform items; never thought to look for these. :blink:

Nice patrol pins! I never got into uniforms but having a history with the pieces always adds to them. Very nice!

Tim

Here's that one I mentioned earlier. If I read the criteria correctly, it indicates 10 patrols:

Pin = 1

Silver star = 5

Gold star = 1 ea (x4)

I had to clean it and unfortunately, I lost some of the original patina but, the badge looked horrible with a yellow film on it. Not sure if someone tried to lacquer it and it turned yellow in splotches over time or if it sat in something that started to corrode the surface. You can see the areas where the surface finish is rough and you can feel it with your fingernail. Anyway, patina will eventually come back and hopefully it will be more even. Looked like it had leprosy.

post-50776-0-98561500-1392102218.jpg

Close up of the patrol stars. I originally thought someone had incorrectly used a bronze star in place of a gold one as the star shape is a bit different, but now I'm not so sure. Either way, it stays as I got it.

post-50776-0-81710900-1392102420.jpg

Here's the reverse and note the attaching pins on that odd star are actually gold colored. I wonder now if whatever was on the badge, might have corroded or caused the star to lose the gilt finish.

post-50776-0-14711200-1392102576.jpg