Favorite war movie of all time.

David D

Trooper B.A.R

Whenever my father came and visited, after supper he would always ask to watch, "Heroes of Telemark", or "Were Eagles Dare". Both enjoyable each time.

Not a perfect movie, by any means, but one which I keep coming back to time after time, especially around June 6th each year. I first saw it with my dad back in 1962. In the years which followed I first got it VHS tape and later on DVD. It's an all-time classic! (PS. it's much better in its original black & white as opposed to the later "colourized" version! :o )

longest-day-d-day-poster.jpg

• 1 year later...

Apocalypse Now. I like how they opened showing Cpt. Willard's twisted psyche, the helicopter assault scene was awesome, the savagery in which he completes his mission and the jungle is law feeling it gives. Also, I first saw it in theaters with my parents when I was 10. The surround sound was incredible. Never saw a surround sound film before.

• 2 weeks later...

84charliemopic, tiny budget, great effect. Modern style filmmaking from the late 80's. The great escape, I watched the hell out of the old vhs tape when I was a kid. Good classic Hollywood stuff. One of the most disturbing war films ever, Come and see (idi i smodri). A boy tries to survive in white russia in 1943. Almost to hard to bear.

Destination Tokyo starring Cary Grant was an excellent WWII submarine warfare movie, it was filmed during WWII, even shows them going under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco going out on a mission and comming back home.

Pork Chop Hill is my favorite Korean War movie

I heard "Fixed Bayonets" was a pretty good Korean war movie

Salvage Sailor

Many good films here, and one not yet listed......

No Man Is An Island, The George Tweed Story (Guam WWII)

Intro teaser on Youtube

The Dirty Dozen was on TCM last night. Strange seeing these people having grown up watching them and now alot of them have passed on. Definitely some great actors in this movie.

Patchcollector

Apocalypse Now. I like how they opened showing Cpt. Willard's twisted psyche, the helicopter assault scene was awesome, the savagery in which he completes his mission and the jungle is law feeling it gives. Also, I first saw it in theaters with my parents when I was 10. The surround sound was incredible. Never saw a surround sound film before.

I saw it in the theatre when it first came out too and loved it ever since.Lot's of symbolism going on under the "eye candy".

Come and see (idi i smodri). A boy tries to survive in white russia in 1943. Almost to hard to bear.

I agree,tough film to watch,but a story that needs to be told.

I agree,tough film to watch,but a story that needs to be told.

I started to watch the film together with my wife, I finished it alone. It was too much for her.

Mine has to be Full Metal Jacket as it's a movie my dad and I really enjoy watching together. He told me that it was very accurate as to what he and other marines he knew in his unit went through during Vietnam and it helps me understand some of the sayings and jokes he's said over the years along with his sense of humor as a marine.

Yep, "Come and See" is a grueling film, but worth a watch.

84charliemopic, tiny budget, great effect. Modern style filmmaking from the late 80's. The great escape, I watched the hell out of the old vhs tape when I was a kid. Good classic Hollywood stuff. One of the most disturbing war films ever, Come and see (idi i smodri). A boy tries to survive in white russia in 1943. Almost to hard to bear.

You really want to wring out your soul? Watch the Japanese animated movie, "Grave of the Fireflies".

That movie will suck the joy right out of you.

Patchcollector

You really want to wring out your soul? Watch the Japanese animated movie, "Grave of the Fireflies".

I have a copy of that and yes,I agree with your assessment.

Yep, "Come and See" is a grueling film, but worth a watch.

"Grave of the Fireflies" is on the same intense level, thats right. In my opinion, the animating style is the only minor point. It looks like many japanese animated series for children made in the 70's and 80's. Now it would be the time for a real film, modern FX techniqes is able to create such nightmarish athmosphere.

I have many many war movies on my list but one of the best movies ever is .............

Seven Beauties.

Directed by Lena Wertmuller.

If you want to learn about how messed up mankind is do yourself a favor and watch it.

owen

I have many many war movies on my list but one of the best movies ever is .............

Seven Beauties.

Directed by Lena Wertmuller.

If you want to learn about how messed up mankind is do yourself a favor and watch it.

owen

Never heard of this movie. The Wikipedia article about it is very interesting.I ll put it in my watchlist.

I just watched a movie called "SAHARA" starring Humphrey Bogart filmed in 1943

Sgt Joe Gunn (Bogart) a WWII tank Commander and his crew (Bennett & Duryea) are surrounded by Germans in the Sahara desert. Their only escape is south into the desert with only their tank "Lullabelle". The race is against time, finding gas, water & their allies before the Germans find them.

I thought it was a excellent WWII movie, has some cool tank scenes.

http://www.amazon.com/Sahara-Richard-Nugent/dp/B00005R23T/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1454819182&sr=1-2

post-1885-0-39684000-1454957309.png

post-1885-0-49560500-1454957325.jpg

1. Band of Brothers. (I know it is a miniseries but still.)

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Schindler's List

4. The Pianist

Forgot about Full Metal Jacket. That has to be on my list!

Never heard of this movie. The Wikipedia article about it is very interesting.I ll put it in my watchlist.

Yeah, I'd never heard of it either.

I just watched a movie called "SAHARA" starring Humphrey Bogart filmed in 1943

Sgt Joe Gunn (Bogart) a WWII tank Commander and his crew (Bennett & Duryea) are surrounded by Germans in the Sahara desert. Their only escape is south into the desert with only their tank "Lullabelle". The race is against time, finding gas, water & their allies before the Germans find them.

I thought it was a excellent WWII movie, has some cool tank scenes.

http://www.amazon.com/Sahara-Richard-Nugent/dp/B00005R23T/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1454819182&sr=1-2

Love that movie