Favorite war movie of all time.

David D

Has anyone ever seen "Beach Red"? Saw it at a theater, think it came out in the late 60's. You'll see where Steven Spielberg got a lot of ideas for this WW2 films.

So many great movies listed here. I'll add two that I don't think have been mentioned.

Gallipoli with a young Mel Gibson was a great movie with fantastic acting and a compelling story.

March or Die with Gene Hackman, Terrence Hill, and Catherine Deneuve is full of great scenes, dialog, a touch of romance, and humor. Very entertaining.

Has anyone ever seen "Beach Red"? Saw it at a theater, think it came out in the late 60's. You'll see where Steven Spielberg got a lot of ideas for this WW2 films.

the movie had too many flashback scenes when the men got killed they showed images of back home, the wife, the kids, the girlfriend, etc

post-1885-0-32186500-1456035105.jpg

My first reaction is anything Air Force-related, but my kid's like "I Remember April" or the Disney Movie, "Rescue," but for me it's always been "The Best Years of Our Lives."

At Christmas time, the family favorites are always "White Christmas" or "The Christmas Card."

All three of the last three are pretty much all about what happens when you come home.

Boy! Some good movies were listed here! I clicked into this thread just to see what people chose, and now I feel like I need to go watch a few! I've been working on compiling a list of WWII films that our family has seen, and it is becoming a novella!

I'd have to agree with "The Train", "The Longest Day", "Twelve O'Clock High", "No Man Is An Island", "Pride of the Marines" (WOW!), "Sahara", and "The Best Years of Our Lives". While I like "The Heroes of Telemark", I was disappointed they had to "dramatize" an even more dramatic story. Cool that it was filmed on location though, and that is the reason I watch it over again.

A few other favorites that nobody has mentioned yet . . .

Air Force (1943) with John Garfield

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (195?) with Robert Mitchum

Action in the North Atlantic (1943) with Humphrey Bogart

If I had to pick by the WWII movie we watch the most . . . it would have to be "Sink the Bismarck!".

Well, so many great movies have been listed, I like 'em all so it's hard to pick a favorite. I put "Sahara" up there towards the top with "Band of Brothers," "Battleground," "Where Eagles Dare," and "Fury." Another movie I recently enjoyed was "Decision Before Dawn" with Oskar Werner who was himself a German WWII veteran.

Not a movie, but I still love watching the old TV series "Combat!" when it comes on. I laugh because the BAR guy, Kirby, got shot about every other episode. I figure he was probably awarded 83 Purple Hearts by the time it was all said and done.. :D

Saving Private Ryan would have to be at the top of my list. Not just of favorite war movies, but movies period. First saw it when I was in high school. That first scene just left me overwhelmed. The Band of Brothers series and Fury are up there at the top too.

a Short list as I cant settle on just one-

The Cruel Sea

Battleground

Pork Chop Hill

Lost Command

Gettysburg

Run Silent, Run Deep

Master and Commander

Blackhawk Down

Platoon

We were Soldiers

Honorable mention to-

Generation Kill

Objective Burma

Merrill's Marauders

The Hunters

The Bridges at Toko-Ri

The Odd Angry Shot

The Lighthorseman

ANZACS

Fury

The Tanks are Coming

Raidercollector

The Bridge over the river Kwai

Platoon

Cross of Iron

Patton

American sniper

Full metal Jacket

last of the mohicans

my favorite WWI movie is "All Quiet on The Western Front"

The Sand Pebbles is the best China sailor movie, about USN Gunboat's in the "Yangpat" [Yangtze Patrol] back in the 1920's - 30's

I hope they make a new movie about the "Brown Water Navy or Game Wardens of Vietnam" kind of like "Sand Pebbles" except during the Vietnam War with gun boats, PBR's , River Monitors , Swift boats.

post-1885-0-49262700-1457107682.jpg

• 4 months later...