GIs wearing German insignia/equipment

Indexred

There were cases of or at least very strong rumors of Germans shooting Americans who had captured German stuff on them...I knew a guy who was in North Africa / Italy who said he never took many for that reason alone.

Okay, that makes more sense, the way I read that quote from that ETO memoir was that they were executed by their own troops / commanders for wearing that stuff....should've thought through it better, I can see the Germans executing Americans found wearing German insignia or equipment taken from dead or wounded Germans....still not right, but I can see it happening....

It happened on both sides of the fence.

Don Evans 2nd Armored ditched his German stash when things got hot because it was known what went on.

• 2 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

Another para wearing same get up.

I own one of these original prints and several others and they were actually 82nd AB Division vets. Paul

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Airmen from the 401st Bomb Group, August 6, 1944

thse guys look like they are a demonstration team. too squred away to be wearing just souveniers. interesting photo. also note the date and id charts behind them.

A neat photo from a vet that was more than likely in Cannon Company, 16th Infantry Regt. 1st Infantry Div. Looks like this guy has a PAB on his cap, a silver or gold wound badge, and you can barely see it, a Close combat clasp.

Mike

post-1387-0-43860700-1468638097.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Mike. Great photo! You see a lot of photos of GI's holding the bigger souvenirs but its a little tougher finding shots of guys wearing captured German military awards.

Paul

Thanks Paul! Check out my other thread, if you haven't already, for more from this vet's album in the photo section.

Mike

Hey Mike. Great photo! You see a lot of photos of GI's holding the bigger souvenirs but its a little tougher finding shots of guys wearing captured German military awards.

Paul

USCapturephotos

I will go and do that right now! BTW check out Bill Shea's new book The Making of a Collectorholic. It's an amazing book on the souvenirs both big and small that US GI's brought home. He used a bunch of my original photos to illustrate it.

Paul