GIs wearing German insignia/equipment

I'd say EKII...the ribbon just isn't folded over...you can see the crease in the center

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed that Lieutenant Townsend clipped one of the wings on his pilots badge. I've never seen one with a single clipped wing. Two clipped wings, yes. Anyone else ever seen something like this?

post-105245-0-66154600-1391653324.jpg

Here's a detail shot. Too bad he has his finger over the suspension loop on the cross. That would indicate whether it's an EKII or RK. I'm not good enough with TR awards to say beyond that criteria.

That is a very rare and much sought after WW2 Romanian paratrooper badge.

post-1389-0-44396400-1391663232.jpg

donation2008.gif

I once read a memoir about the campaign in the ETO. In it, the author said that they were advised by their officers not to be caught wearing any captured German souvenirs...for example, leather belts/ holsters and Iron Crosses were quite popular...as there were instances of GIs being summarily executed for doing so.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Agree with Brig; EKII with unfolded ribbon. Not unusual to see these with some pretty lengthy sections of ribbon. My thoughts only ......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

A gift from the 42nd Infantry Division to the 305th Bomb Group

Pretty sure that flag is the same one on display in the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patt.

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Here's a detail shot. Too bad he has his finger over the suspension loop on the cross. That would indicate whether it's an EKII or RK. I'm not good enough with TR awards to say beyond that criteria.

It's an unissued EKII...a Knight's Cross ribbon is considerably wider. The medals were issued with 10 inch ribbons to allow for mounting the medal on a bar and leaving a piece of the ribbon to be worn through the buttonhole of their tunics...

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

This ex-POW appears to be wearing a Romanian Air Force hat. Perhaps the Romanian AF operated the POW camp.

About 1,000 U.S. airmen were liberated in Romania and flown to Italy where these pictures were made.

post-105245-0-21568400-1391708841.jpg

The center shield looks Polish....

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

This ex-POW appears to be wearing a Romanian Air Force hat. Perhaps the Romanian AF operated the POW camp.

About 1,000 U.S. airmen were liberated in Romania and flown to Italy where these pictures were made.

Yes. All part of "Operation Gunn" which is a great story. I have a huge collection of original photos taken by a photographer with the 454th BG in Italy of which Lt. Colonel Gunn was a member before he was shot down and made a prisoner in Italy. I even have 7 or 8 original photos of the Romanian Me 109 that was used to get Colonel Gunn back to Italy leading to the eventual rescue of these downed airmen. It's a great story that not too many seem to have heard of.

Paul

Close up of LTC Jim Gunn's Me109 that was flown to Italy by a Romanian pilot.

Awesome shot showing the radio compartment where Gunn was crammed into for the escape flight back to Italy. I will scan a few of my original shots and post them in a day or two.

Paul