GIs wearing German insignia/equipment

Indexred

USCapturephotos

For what it's worth, LTC James A. Gunn III piloted this B-24 when shot down over Ploesti on August 17, 1943

Wow. I never saw a pic of the plane Gunn was flying. Isn't that an early D model?

Thanks for sharing that!

Paul

I've always liked this Normandy photo, although it's been published several times. I expect the FG-42 came from the 3.FJD or perhaps FJR 6.

post-105245-0-95473600-1391723167.jpg

USCapturephotos

Agreed! I love this shot. About a year or two ago there was a small grouping of 29th Division snapshots...one showed GI's posed with an FG 42...if memory serves that little grouping went for over $1000.....I have 6 or 7 original snapshots of GI's posed with MP 44 and the same number of GI's with MP 40 but a holy grail for me still is to find a GI posed with one of these or a G 41 or G 43 which would seem to be a bit easier...but they have still alluded me.

Paul

Paul, I goofed, LTC James A. Gunn III flew a B-24H (s/n 41-28790) nicknamed "Bright Eyes." The aircraft pictured above was a B-24D flown by a Captain James A. Gunn Jr. of the 98th BG. He was killed over Ploesti on August 1, 1943. There's a ton of confusion between these two pilots.

Here's a photo of LTC Gunn with Captain Bazu Cantacuzino, the Romanian pilot who flew Gunn to Italy in the Me109 shown above.

post-105245-0-11614200-1391726924.jpg

Back to the topic of this thread ... Here's the all-time classic photo that appeared on the cover of YANK. Love this one!

post-105245-0-84129800-1391727400.jpg

• 6 months later...

Wonderful photos! Makes you think of forgotten footlockers hidden beneath cobwebs in the corner of some dusty attic...and its contents!

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

I did a Captain Wagner in Fury wearing a captured SS winter parka with bullet holes and camouflage rank on the arms.

GIs wore them and there are some pictures to prove it.

owen

USCapturephotos

6amuzapa.jpg

I did a Captain Wagner in Fury wearing a captured SS winter parka with bullet holes and camouflage rank on the arms.

GIs wore them and there are some pictures to prove it.

owen

True Owen. I have an original in my collection of GI's wearing captured German camo parkas and I know a vet who brought home a rabbit lined German parka that he picked up and wore through the Bulge and continued to wear at home shoveling his driveway in the winter.

Paul

I once read a memoir about the campaign in the ETO. In it, the author said that they were advised by their officers not to be caught wearing any captured German souvenirs...for example, leather belts/ holsters and Iron Crosses were quite popular...as there were instances of GIs being summarily executed for doing so.

They executed guys for putting on captured German souvenirs? Seems a bit extreme....

...or did they suspect they were enemy infiltrators like Skorzenys men during the Bulge and execute them on suspicion alone? Still, seems a bit harsh without better intel or basic fact-finding...

There were cases of or at least very strong rumors of Germans shooting Americans who had captured German stuff on them...I knew a guy who was in North Africa / Italy who said he never took many for that reason alone.