Trench/ riot guns

private panda

That is an astute point to make differentiating between how the military refers to shotguns and collector's term differences. To clarify if we call a "riot" gun a short, 18.5-20in barrel with no ventilated hand guard or bayonet lug, there will not be sling swivels inlet-ed in the stock, as the fore swivel is part of the hand guard assembly. No hand gaurd assemble on a "riot" guns means no front sling swivel. There is, as previously noted a difference in riot/trench barrels. The riot barrel is smooth on the underside near the muzzle, while the "trench" barrel has three grooves which guide the three screws for the hand guard. Also the magazine cap differs as a "trench" cap has a stud which guides the bayonet lug, while the "riot" cap is smooth. As far as the original question concerns the lack of fit between the hand gaurd and the norinco m97. One thing to consider is that while the norinco is a very close copy, parts are not interchangeable with a real Winchester made m97. So if the norinco does not have screw grooves for the bayonet lug, or a studded magazine cap, or the hand guard is different manufacture than norinco, it may not fit without machining.

I guess I should clarify that this distinction between trench and riot guns only pertains, as far I know to WW1-WW2 Winchester m97's and m12's. I have no experience with post ww2 shotguns.

private panda

okay, well the original model 12 i had slated didn't come through. I found another, but it has a much longer barrel and a big rump choke. If it weren't for the fact that it was manufactured in 1928, i would just cut the damn thing off, but unfortunately that would be a crime. anyone know where i can find a 18 or 20 barrel?

okay, well the original model 12 i had slated didn't come through. I found another, but it has a much longer barrel and a big rump choke. If it weren't for the fact that it was manufactured in 1928, i would just cut the damn thing off, but unfortunately that would be a crime. anyone know where i can find a 18 or 20 barrel?

Just because it is old, does not make it valuable. The finish of the metal and stocks would be the determining factor of value. If the finish is gone and the wood is scratched and dinged, then there would be no harm in turning it into a trench gun.