WWII Medic display with the rarer OD medics bags?

oldabewla

Here is my WWII medics display, he has what I think are the rarer version of the transitional pair of OD medic's bags. I see the khaki more than the OD versions just my opinion.

Craig

post-7997-0-02469200-1391484951.jpg

Craig,

I agree with you. The transitional color medic bags are not seen as often as the OG3 shaded ones. I always like the transitional colors more for some reason, especially when they have multiple shades on one item.

Oldabewla, those are some fine Bags, by a fine Pistol Belt, on a fine Jacket...I could go on B)

Yeah, you guys are right...these O.D.#7 Medic Bags are by no means common. Haven't bought any of these in many years; I wonder if the "darkies" command bigger bucks...?

Snagged these years ago. Couldn't find any "transitional" Suspenders, so I settled for these multi-colored early O.D. ones...

post-3226-0-21716800-1391556748.jpeg

They are very hard to find, I found one of them and then the other. I snagged it away from a guy that wanted it for a flea market (man bag) some people!! and then no more. Yours are very mint Flage guy!

I think they are 1943-44 war time?

Craig

post-7997-0-01478800-1391560679.jpg

post-7997-0-12122100-1391560714.jpg

They are very hard to find, I found one of them and then the other. I snagged it away from a guy that wanted it for a flea market (man bag) some people!! and then no more. Yours are very mint Flage guy!

I think they are 1943-44 war time?

Craig

No Craig, they're in about the same shape yours are in; very nice, but not mint! And you're right- around '43-'44 vintage.

Speaking of RARE: any of you guys ever try to hunt these down (below)?

They used to bring just as much as the Bags themselves.

Lace-in Inserts for vials, bottles, etc..

post-3226-0-87534600-1391565319.jpg

Nice display.

Do you have some closeups of the helmet? And is there any markings on the armband ?

The Helmet is original with the panels painted on by me. I couldn't find a original one so I did my own medic helmet up for my display.

The arm band has the medic's issue numbers on the back side. I have another medics arm brassard with three different issued number on it.

Craig

Very well done.

Craig did such a super great job on the helmet,when he displayed it at a military show the dealers were all trying to buy it.

The darker green medic bags may be harder to find, and I suppose that should a collector want one of everything, they will command a good price. I can tell you that a number of years ago, I happened upon a hoard of medic bags in tan, light OD and the darker OD colors. The tan and light OD colored ones sold like hotcakes. Nobody at the time seemed to want the darker color stuff. Today, I think there is a greater appreciation for the darker shade equipment. Perhaps that is because the lighter shades commanded more money or were harder to find due to the number of collectors wanting the lighter colored pieces?

Allan

Very nice WWII Medics display. Can you please give me some help on the dimensions for the white circles on the helmet.

I'm working on a display as my father and uncle were both Combat Medics in WWII. I'm also looking for a list of the items

they carried in their Aid Bags. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ~ Danny

Allen: I've noticed a big change in the way many collectors view the dark O.D. stuff; this shift in thought created quite a rebellion against the old "collector/reenactor story" that O.D.#7 canvas did not see service in W.W.II. I've had a much harder time finding dark O.D. Wartime Marine Corps Ammo Belts, for example, than the fairly common O.D. #3 examples.

Craig: Great pic!! Thanks!

Danny: I think George Peterson still reprints the various Army Catalogues, including the Medical Supply one. There is a wealth of photos in there, listing all the various substances and hardware to be carried by the Medics.

Johan Willaert

All this made me want to show the Medic display from my collection....

The OD bags are indeed not common, but still a bit easier than the version with three snaps instead of grommets and laces...

post-92-0-60572500-1391678123.jpg

The OD bags are indeed not common, but still a bit easier than the version with three snaps instead of grommets and laces...

And certainly a lot easier than the first pattern, closed with the leather strap:

post-2299-0-74052600-1391682087.jpg

Regards,

Ben.

Dark OD web gear has appreciated in value and has been gaining in popularity in the past few years. Collectors thinking that the dark equipment wasn't worn in WWII are just kidding themselves. Even as early as the Normandy invasion, the dark OD equipment was being used. Col. Millett, commander of the 507th PIR insisted on his troops having nothing but the best and newest equipment. His troops jumped into Normandy wearing dark shade web gear.

One of the things that I think reenactors get wrong is that when they wear dark shade equipment, that every single piece is exactly the same color. Obviously, if you need a canteen cover or a pair of suspenders for your combat gear, you take what you are given. I'm sure that Private Jones didn't go back to the supply sergeant saying "hey Sarge, I can't use this canteen cover! It doesn't match my 10 pocket ammo belt!" :lol:

Ben, those are KILLER medic pouches! Thanks for sharing them!

Allan

Ben, I've never seen one of those in my life; thanks very much for posting that screamer. I can't help wondering how many of those survived, or worse yet- how many of them I've walked by at shows and thought "eeh, it's German", or some such idiotic analysis.

Allen: I've got a display section which consists of dark O.D. web gear made in 1942-44, and it's a pretty sizable pile; the mixed-color "transitional" pile is even bigger. It's been gratifying to see the change of tune in the collecting community toward this stuff, but I guess the downside is that the picker competition skyrocketed!

As far as your lower paragraph goes, all I can say is...ROTFLMBO...Visualizing the GIs looking at things the way some of us collectors do is a bottomless barrel of laughs!

Well hey, every body knows that the men hated the O.D.#7 stuff because "it just didn't look W.W.II vintage....!!"

I understand that the 6thMarDiv refused to put any men over the side whose HBT Utilities had washed-out spec tags :P

Where's Jeff Schrader and ATF when we need 'em?? :D

Nice bags Ben, I've never seen them ether! I always try to find or look for the OD #7 1943 dated gear. I have a few mint cartridge belts & carbine pouches in my collection the 1943 OD#7 gear was made back them but not much of it.

Craig

To piggyback on Allan's comment about Col. Millet. His paratroopers also wore on their helmets the new 1/4-inch American made "skrimp nets." Nobody else is known to have worn those on D-Day. I really like all the darker, OD 7 gear.

Thanks guys. I have to say that it took me some time to locate the leather-strap version of the Pouch. They certainly don't show up very often. There is one illustrated in the second volume of GICG, but I've yet to see another...

Regards,

Ben.