Interesting shirt I just got.

Spike

Picked this up Sat night. Very interesting shirt that needs some research. Unfortunately I don't have the access that guys like Andre and others have to various military databases . The name tape NAVINSWARLANT is something I have never seen let alone heard of. I think it's for Navy Inshore Warfare Atlantic? Didn't show the whole shirt as everyone knows what a poplin 4 pocket shirt looks like. These patches have been on there a long time.

post-532-0-03198600-1391468503.jpg

From http://www.n6cc.com/trumpy_ptf17

"Typical souvenirs of the era. A Plaque from Naval Inshore Warfare Command Atlantic, our Type Commander in the Amphibious Forces in those days. Belt buckles, a cigarette lighter and a PT Boat tie clip. The tie clip was from “Boats” Newberry of “PT Boats Incorporated”, a private outfit that was restoring PT 796 in Memphis at the time. PT 796 is now on display at Fall River Massachusetts. He sent us a bunch of tie clips and “PT Boater” bumper stickers to commemorate the commissioning of CRD 21. These are the same pewter tie clips that John Kennedy handed out to his supporters at the time, a throwback to the PT-109 event.

Note that the “NAVINSWARLANT” insignia on the plaque symbolizes their common Command of the Atlantic Fleet’s US Navy SEALS (top), Explosive Ordnance Disposal (left), Coastal River Divisions (right) and the Inshore Undersea Warfare Group (bottom) commands. The CRD’s would eventually be renamed Special Boat Units and then Special Boat Teams which exist today supporting SEAL special warfare operations worldwide.

Rear Admiral W.M.A. Greene USN, Commander NAVINSWARLANT was the guest speaker at the Commissioning ceremony of Coastal River Division 21. The other guest speaker was Rear Admiral Draper L. Kauffman USN, “The Father of Underwater Demolition”. More about him in the Coastal River Division 21 Ops post elsewhere in this blog."

post-582-0-68888200-1391482570.jpg

Further proof that back in the day various units of the Navy did not feel obligated to wear a US Navy branch of service tape.

Nice item.